KABANATA 51:

Life

Nang humarap ito at nakita ko ang buong anyo ay alam kong siya iyon.

"Cyrill!" Tawag ko rito ulit. Nagpalinga-linga ito. Mukhang narinig niya ako.

When our eyes met her eyes grew bigger, surprised. I ran to their direction.

"You're here! I heard you left Manila." I said sounding so worried. According to sister Kelsy biglaan daw ang pagalis nito kasama ang mga kapatid niya.

"Yeah. I needed to." She smiled but it never reached her eyes. Malayong-malayo sa Cyrill na nakilala ko.

It seems that she doesn't want to talk about it so I did not push her. I looked at the kid she was carrying. I smiled with his cuteness!

Hindi ko napigilan na pisilin ang pisngi nito na naging sanhi ng paglabi nito sa akin.

Aw, he looked cuter!

"And who's this handsome baby boy?" I asked still smiling with his cuteness.

"He's my two-year-old son, Vermont." She smiled. Her smile never reached her eyes but this one was full of love. Her eyes were even sparkling.

"Aw, he's such a cutie!" I pinched his cheeks again, this time he cried and it made me panic. "Oh my! I'm sorry, baby. Tita didn't mean it, I swear. I'm really sorry, baby Vermont." Pagpapatahan ko rito.

Napahalakhak naman si Cyrill. Ni hindi ko raw kasi ito mapatahan. Ilang saglit pa ay tumahan naman ito.

I can't help myself but wonder. Ano kaya ang itsura ng magiging anak namin ni Lin. Would he or she look like him or me? Mas maganda siguro kung kamukha ni Lin para paglumaki hindi tulad ko na inaasar dahil mukhang kinse. Sana rin mamana niya ang tangkad ng bakulaw na 'yon.

Then I remembered...

Si Lin! Gutom na!

"Hala sorry talaga but I need to go Cyrill. I would really love to shop him some toys pero wala na akong time e. Here, cash nalang. Utang ko sa mga paskong nagdaan." I pulled out some bills and handed it to her.

Umiling ito at akmang ibabalik pero sumimangot ako sa kaniya at naggalit-galitan. And Cyrill, as what she is she just nod her head and said her thanks. She's really nice.

Though I am wondering who is Vermont's father. I never heard that she had a boyfriend. She's too focused with work, her siblings and the orphanage kaya hindi ko alam na may naging kasintahan pala ito.

When I arrived at our suite I found Lin at the veranda. His back facing me. He was talking to someone on the phone. The door was open so I can clearly hear what he's saying.

Tumatawa ito na ikinataas ng kilay ko.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm fine." Tumawa ulit ito. "Uh-huh. Okay. Yeah you take care too." His final words before ending the call. He was still smiling when he turned around and found me looking at him.

"You're here!" He happily said then hugged me. I remained silent. I did not even hug him back.

"Who was that?" I asked in a monotone.

"Who? the caller?" He asked while looking down at me. I didn't answer him. Ngumisi siya. "Nagseselos nanaman ang girlfriend ko." He chuckled.

Sumimangot naman ako. Lalo lang itong natawa sa naging reaksyon ko. "That was just Nathalia, nangangamusta. She also said that she's here."

"Nathalia? 'Yong best friend mong may gusto sa'yo?" Nakasimangot kong tanong. Tumawa ito at walang kahirap-hirap na binuhat ako.

We landed on the cozy bed and his arms, wrapped around me, that made it cozier.