THIRTY TWO

(Y/N)

My siblings and I separated from the hug, though hesitantly, and noticed we were back at Destiny Islands. Though, it seemed like it was just the three of us. But looking a little behind Damien, I saw Kairi.

The moment my eyes met hers she jumped a little and smiled nervously my way. Curious and confused, I snuck away from my brothers who were occupied with themselves to go over to her. She saw me approaching her and fiddled with her fingers nervously. Once I was close enough, we stood about three feet away from each other.

It was slightly awkward and tense around us, but I did want to know why she was here and with my brother of all people.

"Kairi?" My voice came out small and timid, she hummed back in response. "Why are you with my brother?"

A faint pink hue painted her cheeks but it quickly went away. "I-I kept him company, is all. N-Nothing to it." I rose a brow at her obvious slip up and stuttering.

Crossing my arms, I narrowed my eyes slightly at her. "I'm surprised you haven't snapped at me yet, do you---still hate me?" I was anxious to what she was going to stay, I still had little faith in her that maybe she could be back to the Kairi I knew.

Kairi frowned, looking down at her feet in...guilt? Then looked back up to meet my eyes. "I wanted to apologize for what I did, I shouldn't have let my emotions get the best of me. It was...selfish of me." My eyes widened, I wasn't expecting an apology out of the blue. "I was just so afraid of seeing Sora look so broken---then I learned about you and honestly, I'm jealous."

I resisted the urge to scoff but kept my mouth shut.

"I always thought I would be the only girl in his mind but somehow you made your way to it and his heart. He really cares about you."

'He cares about you too.' I added in my head. 'You were his first crush.'

"I guess I wasn't ready to let him go yet, we weren't together or anything but I didn't like the idea of him being with someone else that isn't me." She finished and some of the tension left her shoulders. "Now, I think I'm ready to let go." A small, sorrowful smile appeared on her lips. "Can you promise to take care of him, to always make him happy?"

Without hesitation I nodded, and the sorrow left her and was replaced with relief. "Thank you."

I awkwardly shifted in my spot. "So, does this make us friends? Cause I really want to put this all behind us and start fresh." I fiddled with my fingers nervously. "U-Unless you don't want to..."

Kairi laughed and I felt the tips of my ears get hot. "Of course we can be friends, silly. Why else would I apologize for my actions?" Immediate relief filled my heart and a smile formed on my lips. I felt happy that we were able to fix this feud of ours and become friends.

I almost forgot my brothers were here. Looking over my shoulder, they seemed to still be occupied so I took the time to talk to her more. "Say Kairi, are you and Damien friends?" I asked, turning back to face her. "It's because, I've never seen him have a female friend before. Even when we were younger."

Her face flushed pink again and it was getting oddly suspicious. "Y-You could say that." There goes her stuttering again. "He was the one who made me realize my actions were wrong and that I should fix things with you. For someone who looks introverted, he's fairly talkative and wise."

A laugh bubbled in my throat. Damien was never talkative back then, well, only to Vincent and I at least. He's never once interacted with other kids our age even at the gatherings our 'parents' would bring us to. Vincent was more of the social butterfly out of the three of us, he was more outgoing.

"Well, I can tell you this: you must mean something to him if he can freely talk to you like that." I let out a small giggle. "It means he likes you---take it as how you see it." Giving her a small wave, I turned around and walked back to my brothers.

When I reunited with my brothers, I noticed Damien's flushed face and Vincent's teasing. Amused and curious, I asked them what they were discussing. Immediately Damien denied and slapped a hand over Vincent's mouth so he wouldn't answer. Now I was really curious.

"Nothing, nothing!" Damien let out a cough, his eyes momentarily glancing over my shoulder. "How about we meet up with the others? Sora misses you."

At the mention of his name, my heart skipped a beat. He was the last person I was with until I was taken away. I felt sadness course through me, he must've broken down again in my absence.

"Let's go."

----

The cool air of Twilight Town greeted me as I stepped out of the portal. Damien was smart enough to cast it in a secluded area as to not rise any suspicion towards us. At this point, I was about to head back to the apartment when my brother's voice filled my ears.

"He's on top of the clock tower." Damien used his thumb to point in the direction of the station. "Roxas was with him earlier until he was asked to be left alone." I nodded at that information and headed off towards the tower.

When I got to the top, I peeked over from the corner to see Sora sitting on the ledge with a sea salt ice cream in one hand. With just one glance you can tell something was wrong with him, that and well he was extremely quiet. A small wave of anxiety hit me but I quickly shook it off, I needed to show him I'm okay.

"Sora?" He didn't appear to hear me the first time. "Sora." His head snapped towards my direction in the slightest but not fully.

I stepped forward and called out his name one more time. "Sora, it's me." This time, he fully turned his head and his eyes met mine. It took about five seconds until he realized I was in front of him. He let go of the popsicle and clumsily got up to run over to me. I let out a gasp when his arms wrapped around and embraced me tightly.

"Please tell me you're real...please."

I slowly wrapped my arms around him, hugging him firmly. "I'm real, I'm back, I'm okay."

His body relaxed in my hold and I hear him sigh in relief. "You're real, you're back, you're okay."

I giggled, he basically repeated what I just said. "And for good."