THIRTY EIGHT (RW)

(Y/N)

I let out an irritated sigh as I heard the ruckus outside. I had just woken up from my nap, rather rudely might I add, to the sounds outside. "What the hell are they doing?" A Shadow perked up from the side of my bed and I reached down to pat it on the head. It purred underneath my touch and I couldn't help but smile. "Do you know what's going on outside, little one?" As I stood back up it looked at me, titling it's head to the side. "Guess we're gonna have to find out."

I followed the sound leading me to the courtyard. My eyes scanned over the area to find Kuro and Despair playing with the heartless and unversed. To the side Sorrow watched unamused while Hatred stood next to her idly. However he snapped his head in my direction, sensing me enter the area. He perked up a little and sent a shy wave. Sorrow caught onto his movement and looked seeing me. She curtesied in my direction.

Though the other two were busy playing around to even notice me, well, not like it matters. I wanted to know what's getting them so riled up, it seems they're only roughhousing with each other. Ha, typical of them.

"Did they wake you?" Sorrow's voice reached my ears, she had phased over to where I was. She was no longer in her titan form, but the size of a normal grown woman. I was almost reaching her shoulders from my perspective. "Should I go silence them?" Hatred appeared on the other side of me, nodding along.

I quickly shook my head. "No, why would you even think that?" I looked at her, exasperated.

"Sleep is precious to you." Hatred replied. He too had deemed a smaller form compared to his bigger one, though this form kinda hovered over all of us a little more. "Keeper be grumpy." Sorrow laughed, agreeing with him.

"You were quite the grumpy child when you were woken up from your naps before, I see it hasn't changed." She spoke, so she has sensed my rather grumpy mood.

"Who wouldn't be?" I grumbled.

"See?"

Rolling my eyes, I huffed and looked over at the other two who seem to have finally taken notice I was here. Kuro pushed Despair off of her and ran over to me, glomping me into a hug. I staggered a little from the sudden weight but nonetheless hug her back. Despair walked up to us normally and greeted me with a bow of his head. Also donning a smaller form unlike his giant one, he was a head taller than Sorrow but a little shorter compared to Hatred.

"You three seriously need to stop greeting me so formally." I noted. "We're all equal among each other."

"We cannot do that, Keeper." Despair spoke immediately. "It is merely us showing our respect to you, we cannot just greet you so casually. But don't worry, we know you won't take advantage of it. We're aware of your sense of equality."

"As much as it warms our heart you'd bring us on your level, you're always going to be seen higher to us. We don't seem worthy to stand by you there." Sorrow added and Despair agreed with her.

Hatred shifted awkwardly. "We serve to protect Keeper, we keep her safe." I noticed he had gotten a little better in speaking in just a couple of hours, interesting. I don't know how to feel about them praising me as if I'm some God, but I can only suspect they're like that because I created them in the first place. Yet I'm no tyrant at all.

Kuro giggled, pulling back from the hug and stood next to Despair. "It's only fair we're respectful and loyal to you and only you. Heck, I've been with you the longest."

"Speaking of that, how long are you going to use the name Kuro?" Despair asked, a Cheshire grin forming into his face. "Wouldn't you like your true name better, Mi—"

"Oh piss off, will you? Y'know what, fine! Call my by my real name!" Kuro threw her hands up in exasperation, eyes glaring in his direction. "Might as well since the whole gang is here."

"You don't have to if you hate that name so much, that's why I gave you the name you have now." I spoke softly, not feeling any offense to her negativity of her true name. "You will always be Kuro to me, remember that."

Kuro felt tears prick her eyes but she wiped them away before they could fall. "I-I know but, you gave me a name the moment I was brought into this world. It's special to me so—can I hear you say my name?"

My heart swelled and I felt my lips quiver but I collected myself. "It's nice to have you back, Misery." Her eyes watered and this time she let the tears fall. Despair wrapped an arm around her shoulder to give her reassurance. Sorrow reached over to wipe away the tears and Hatred gave her a head pat. As I watched the scene before me, a wave of realization hit me. How could I have forgotten this? How could I have missed this?

Seeing the four of them together is like a family photo, except I'm the one behind the camera. My eyes softened at the sight of them cheering up Kur—Misery as she playfully swatted at them to give her some space. Despair laughed, dodging the swipe and ruffling her hair making it messy. Sorrow sighed, shaking her head and backed away as the two began to roughhouse again. Hatred stood there confused not knowing what to do.

A sudden nudge on my leg brought my attention away from them, I looked down to see the Shadow from earlier. Oh my, I seem to be completely forgetful today that I forgot my little companion! It nudged it's head again as it peered up at more, almost concerned.

"I'm okay." I muttered to it. "Just...reminiscing." As if understanding me, it nodded. I let out a laugh. "You can join them if you'd like, they're good people I promise." I sensed his hesitation and reached down to pat its head reassuringly. "Go on." Giving it a gentle push, it stumbled over to the group and Hatred was the first to noticed it.

He hovered over to it, staring down at it before kneeling and petting it. I take note of how much head pats this guy likes to give. His white void of eyes peer down into the yellow ones and a mutual understanding was formed...judging by their staring. Sorrow was the next one to take note of the little shadow and walked over to the pair. She kneeled down on one knee and reached a hand out to it. The Shadow 'sniffed' it before nuzzling it's head into her hand. I saw a ghost smile appear before it went away just as quickly.

Misery immediately jumped onto Sorrow's back and luckily she kept her ground, as if knowing it would happen. While Despair propped down on the other side of Hatred and watched the interaction. The Shadow first took note of Despair and waddled over to him. His yellow eyed gaze followed it before giving it a subtle nod, in response the Shadow gently boop its head on his knee. Misery snickered at the bow flustered look on his face and he sent a lighthearted glare in her direction.

If only I had a phone to record this moment, but this'll have to do for now...in my memories. I hope something like this would last long, at least in the meantime.

I tore my gaze from them to look up at the dark sky, seems like there will never be light in this world...only darkness. It would make sense after all, given the name of this place. However a certain sparkle caught my eye and I thought I was hallucinating until I rubbed my eyes and checked to see if it was real—it was.

There was a single star that lit up in the sky, sparkling ever so often then dimming. It was all alone in the sky, for there were no other stars that accompanied it. Huh, how unfortunate...it almost reminds me of myself.

But now, maybe it'll be different. I looked away from the sky back to the group in front of me, now they were playing with the little heartless.

This is my home for now.