SIXTEEN

Hello! I'm sorry for not updating in a while, college is stressful. But hey, I'm updating slowly but surely. I hope you all enjoyed the 2k special though featuring Riku.

Also, new character introduced in this chapter! It's another OC I made up so it's not another Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy character.

Now, here is the long awaited chapter!

----

    You didn't have anything planned today, so it was just you in Roxas's empty apartment. The spikey blonde went out with his used-to-be-somebody to who knows where. So, it was just you.

    It's been a while since you had time to yourself, the feeling was almost foreign to you because you've been surrounded by great people. Well, minus Kairi. Even so, you were surrounded by people who cared about you. That was something you craved for a long time. Your family never gave you the time of day and your siblings acted as if you weren't in the family in the first place.

    Tough life, isn't it?

    Well here in the Kingdom Hearts realm, you felt like you had a place.

    At least, that's what you think.

    You still couldn't help but think that one day all the memories/moments you had with them was all just an act. No one has ever treated you so nicely before, you were really skeptic of everything nowadays. Your dark thoughts were getting to you again and you succumbed to it. All your life you've been alone, this all could be wishful thinking and the next time you woke up all of this would be a dream. A really, really good dream.

    Alone in Roxas's room, you fiddled with the bracelet Vanitas gave you. He visited you earlier and gave you a gift to make up for him being a jackass in the realm of darkness. You told him he didn't have to but he male insisted. Since he went all his way to give it to you, you accepted it. In the box was a bracelet and charms on it.

    Looking closer it looked like each charm represented someone, which means the others were in on it too. Your finger traced the outline of each charm, while your mind was elsewhere. Vanitas couldn't say long, because Ventus dragged him to spend the day with the spikey blonde himself. Though Vanitas really wanted to stay with you, you still told him to go spend time with Ventus. Even if your heart told him to stay.

    However, there was one person you wish was with you right now.

    Sora.

    It's been a while since the two of you were together. Ever since arriving at Twilight Town, everyone wanted to spend time with you which you didn't mind but you missed Sora's presence. It comforted you, just like how when the two of you were in the final world.

    Needless to say, Sora also felt the same. The brunette wanted to spend time with you today but Roxas dragged him out before he could even ask you.

    Still, maybe it was good to finally have alone time.

    You lied down on the bed, but made no attempt to fall asleep. Your body felt tired but your mind was wide awake. You hovered the wrist wearing the bracelet and looked at it. You smiled at a particular charm: a crown. It reminded you of Sora. You placed your wrist back down onto the bed and sighed.

    "Feels great to finally be alone, huh?" A voice said. In front of you was a girl, who had their arms crossed over their chest. They had a smirk on their face and looked a lot like you. "You haven't let me out in a while."

    She was your shadow, not exactly a heartless, but really your shadow. She was able to manifest herself into a human being but unfortunately had no heart. Her name was Kuro, at least that's what you named her.

    Kuro was like the outgoing side you wished you had, more of a troublemaker though. No one, even Sora, knew about her. It was your little secret. Kuro would only come out when you, and you alone, were by yourself. Not like it mattered though, no one could see her unless Kuro gave them permission to see her. Yeah, it's a bit complicated.

    Kuro crossed the room and sat down on the floor, in front of the bed

    Kuro crossed the room and sat down on the floor, in front of the bed. The smirk vanished from her face and concerned washed over. She was only soft when it came to you.

    "Hey, you okay?" Kuro asked. "You look down today kiddo."

    "I don't know." You uttered, sounding so unsure. "I just feel...down."

    "Did you want to go somewhere?" Your shadow offered. "Just say the word and I'll take you there."

    "Thanks but no thanks, Kuro." You thanked her, not really wanting to leave the safe comfort of the room. "I'd rather stay here."

    Kuro sighed. "You're gonna wait for them to come back, aren't you?"

    "What else am I supposed to do?"

    "I don't know, get out and eat something?" She responded. "You can't wallow in your dark thoughts forever, you need to move on. You're safe now (Y/N). They can't hurt you anymore." Yes, she was there when you had the family drama. You told her not to do anything because you didn't want to attract any unwanted attention to yourself. However, Kuro wanted to so badly to do something. Your family hurt you, not physically, but emotionally. And she would not let that slide.

    You're afraid to trust, to open up. Because you had no one but her. Kuro was the only one to see you at your lowest and be there to comfort you when you needed it. Now that you have Sora and the gang, she was glad there could be someone else to be there for you when she can't. But still, she can feel your hesitance. She can hear your thoughts, after all.

    "I'm here for you, Sora's here for you, they're here for you. You're not alone anymore, (Y/N)." Kuro finished.

    "I know, I know, but I can't help it." You told her. "As bad as it sounds, I'm used to being like this for so long that it comes naturally. It scares me but it's how I see it."

    "Well that's going to change. Look, they're here. At least one of them is." Before you could ask who, Kuro was gone within a blink of an eye.

    Sitting up, your ears perked up at the sound of a voice.

    Sora's voice.

    "(Y/N)? Where are you?" Sora called out to you. "Roxas won't be back until later so I went on ahead."

    "I'm here Sora." You responded back. Footsteps were heard approaching your door and the door opened. There, the infectious ball of sunshine stood in the doorway. You can feel the happiness radiating off of him.

    Taking one good look at the boy in front of you, Kuro's words echoed in your head. It actually made you think. Seeing him in front of you now, maybe she was right. Maybe it was time to let go of the past because Sora's words echoed in your head this time:

    "Don't worry about it. If worst comes to worst, I'll protect you. You're safe with me, your heart is safe with me."