FOURTY ONE

(Y/N)

I stared at Ventus in shock, before giving a brief glance to Vanitas. He looked a little skeptical too. When I turned back to Ven, he still had the gentle expression on his face as he waited patiently for me to respond.

"I..." I was really at a loss for words, how can I even reply to him? I gave it more thought before piecing my words together. "Why?"

Ven glanced at Vanitas, as he gave the male a pointed look. Vanitas huffed and looked away from him, making my eyes narrow at their exchange. I looked back and forth between the two of them before letting out a sigh.

"Did you to planned something behind my back?" They stiffened up in response, making me glare at either of them. "So you did?"

"Don't get mad at Vanitas, I just noticed he went missing for a while and I was going to go after him. But then Terra and Aqua caught me leaving on my own and...you know the rest." Ven butted in, gaining back my attention.

"...yeah." Vanitas replied. "I thought I was slick but apparently nothing gets past my dear brother of mine."

"You do realize our rooms are right next to each other, right?" Ven inquired. "So of course I'm gonna hear you leave unannounced." I snickered at the remark, knowing full well how Vanitas is. It made me think back to how Roxas and Sora are...I really miss them. I unexpectedly disappeared on them and I...now I'm just running away from them. Then Vanitas came along, now Ven!

I know I said I didn't want anyone else to be involved but...at this point I just have to take what I can get.

"Ven, does anyone else besides Terra and Aqua know you're here?" I asked him seriously, looking straight into his eyes. He thought about it before shaking his head slowly, albeit hesitantly.

"Not that I know of." Ven started, looking a bit conflicted. "But since we split, up, there's a chance one—or both—of them will contact the others about our whereabouts. Wait...can our phones even get signal here?" This puzzled me for a moment too, but anything can happen at this point. Vanitas shrugged before suggesting we make up our mind before Terra or Aqua come back. He made a good point and I had to make a decision. Ven looked at me with a kicked puppy look and I always had a soft spot for him—so in the end I decided to bring him along as long as he promised to not tell anyone where we are. His face lit up instantly and agreed to my terms, following behind us back to my castle.

Misery was at the front gate, as if expecting us and looked dumbfounded that we brought Ventus with us. She raised a finger and pointed at him, looking back and forth between us. I sighed, nodding my head, seeing her blink incredulously before hesitantly greeting our new companion. Ven waved at her cheerfully and I saw her clutch her chest as if in pain—you know, the reaction when something incredibly cute is in front of you. Ven had his eyes closed so he didn't see her react that way when he waved at her. So when he opened his eyes, he was greeted instead with a subtle smile and nod of her head.

We got inside and was immediately swarmed by the other three, who questioned Ven right away. I immediately stepped in front of him and explained how he will be staying with us, just like Vanitas. They looked hesitant to accept, until I have them a hard stare. Their heads lowered in submission and I was relieved no fight broke out.

Now, it took a little while for Ven to get situated. The heartless were extremely hesitant to approach him, seeing as he's a guardian of light. Ven, in a similar manner, felt uncomfortable at the sight of harmless heartless and unversed scattered around the castle. I don't really blame him, since he's been fighting them nearly all his life. But once I show that they were really harmless as they looked, he was slowly learning to be comfortable around them. One small shadow and unversed seem to have taken a liking to him, following him around like a pet. It caught him off guard at first, but I saw how it helped him slowly get accustomed to having them around.

Vanitas, of course, was there to help him too. He did command the inverse at one point, so I trusted him to help Ven get settled in more. It was also a fond sight to see them together, getting along unlike before. While Ventus was more accepting that he was, it took a little more pushes before Vanitas was able to finally get along with him.

"They kinda remind us of you and I." I told Kuro once. She looked at me a little weirdly. "You know, how were light and dark—two sides of the same coin. Except, I've already accepted you as a part of me since the beginning."

She appeared taken back for a moment, before a soft smile formed on her lips. "Yeah, been with you since the beginning." Her hand took a hold of mine and gave it a small squeeze. "With you until the end, the four of us are." At the same time the other three appeared and nodded their heads in agreement. I let out a laugh but I felt a surge of happiness within me.

"Don't forget about us." Vanitas popped into the conversation, with Ven right beside him. I was thrown off guard by their sudden appearance...until it hit me that they were my precious friends. Not once did I expect those two to be by my side at a time like this, but it was a nice final moment before the confrontation tomorrow.

Hopefully, the bad things will end soon.

Soo, I recently got back into playing Kingdom Hearts 3 on a whim and this brought me back to this story. I heavily apologize for the lack of content in this book, I've been in a huge writers block and I've been disconnected from this site. But that doesn't mean I've given up on this story completely. I will finish it, maybe soon? Although, I appreciate those who have read and love this story so far, thank you ♥︎