THIRTY NINE (RW)

EDIT[02/10/22]: This will be the last rewritten chapter and afterwards will be 'new.' Hopefully the last few chapters were good!

Belated Happy New Year! I've decided to start this year off with a chapter! I apologize for my lateness and I appreciate those who have been patient with my abnormal updates.

(Y/N)

I was having a conversation about a plan with Misery until Sorrow barged into the room looking tense and irritated. Misery and I looked at each other confused but slightly on edge. Sorrow approached me and bowed her head respectfully before speaking. "My Lady, it seems we have an unexpected visitor." My eyes widened in surprise. "He claims to know you as well."

"Did he say who he was?" I asked, unease growing inside me.

She nodded. "He says his name is Vanitas." The moment that name left her lips I choked on air. I looked at Misery to see her as shocked and in disbelief as I am. "What shall we do with him? Despair and Hatred are with him as we speak."

What the heck was Vanitas doing here?!

"My Lady?"

I snapped my attention back to her. "Call off Despair and Hatred, have Vanitas meet me in the courtyard. I'll speak with him myself." She opened her mouth to protest but I quickly cut her off. "Don't worry, he's a friend." Her posture relaxed a little bit was still tense.

"As you wish." Sorrow then left the room.

I turn to face Misery who looked conflicted. "Are you sure you don't want to meet him? He is your friend too y'know." I told her in a soft tone. "But I won't force you if you don't want to."

Misery shook her head, giving me a small smile. "You go see him, I'll...go join the others." My brows furrowed with worry and she gave me a reassuring head pat. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. Go see him, I know how close you two are." Before I could respond she disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Her attitude just now...I wonder why she's hesitant to meet him, to the point she avoids seeing him altogether? I was for sure she'd want to see him—until her words from a couple days ago rang in my head.

"I don't think he'll ever see me that way. Plus, I think he has eyes for someone else."

She also vaguely implied it is someone we know, but who? However that's another matter for another time, I need to head to the courtyard to meet Vanitas. Along the way there, I thought about how he managed to find this place yet enter the depths with all the heartless and unversed around. Though, I shouldn't be surprised about the unversed since he did used to command them. Maybe they recognized him from that?

As I entered the courtyard, I immediately sought out Vanitas. It wasn't that hard to find him since he stood in the middle of it, he had his arms crossed across his chest and then turned around the moment I got close. The glare on his face softened and his posture relaxed. Seeing a familiar face since the last couple of incidents, I couldn't help but bring him into a hug.

THIRD

Vanitas caught the girl when she dove into him, wrapping his arms around her. An amused chuckle left his lips as the two hugged. "Missed me that much, doll? You should see the others." But the grip he had on her tightened. "I missed you."

The female giggled, pulling away from the hug. "To think you'd admit something like that so easily." She told him.

He rolled his eyes. "Don't get used to it." It was silent between the pair for a moment before he spoke again. "How long have you been here?"

Surprised yet not surprised of the question, she answered him. "A while."

His eyes narrowed and he frowned at her. "And you didn't think to come back to notify all of us you're okay? Do you have any idea how worried we were about you? Especially Sora and Roxas, you live with them for crying out loud!"