EIGHT

"It was called Home...but was it really?"

——

You didn't know where you wanted to go, all you wanted to go was anywhere but Destiny Islands.

So when you appeared a yet another familiar looking sandy shore, you inwardly groaned. You sure had a thing with shores don't you?

It was dark everywhere, clearly because of what this realm was.

The realm of darkness.

You walked closer to the waters and sat on the familiar rock everyone knows well. You stared out into the waters with a serene expression. Your chest felt heavy and your tears were dried up.

You were alone once again.

That is, until you heard footsteps from behind you. Alarmed, you got up and turned around to face the person. Your eyes widened, they were the last person you expected to be here.

"Hmph. Well if it isn't a girl, what brings you here?" The person mocked. "Got lost in the realm of light?" They laughed. "And darkness was your answer."

While you would've snapped at him for his tone, but at this point it didn't really matter. So, you turned back around and sat back down on the rock.

The person rose a brow in question. Though they continued approaching and soon enough they stood next to you. "Not even gonna reply back? That's rude. Didn't your mom teach you some manners?"

"Enough. I don't wanna talk." Your voice was cold as ice. "Either you find another place to go and be an ass or you can stay here and shut up."

They smirked. "And the girlie has finally talked back, along with some bite too." You heard them chuckle. "I like you, you're interesting." The person then sat next to you on the rock. "The names Vanitas."

"...(Y/N)." You replied.

"Well then (Y/N), I think we're going to get along just fine." Vanitas smirked at you.

——

You and Vanitas talked for a while, he still gave you a smartass attitude but it was kinda nice talking to him. Ever since he showed up in the game, you felt bad because not only was he being used he never had someone there for him.

A friend.

Though you wouldn't exactly call each other friends yet. While he might be a sarcastic smartass you still gave him the cold shoulder. Yet he still kept on talking.

Eventually you did start talking back to him, but it wasn't like you were talking with Sora and Riku. Just small answers.

Speaking of Sora, it was kinda weird at first talking to him since he is like the split copy of Sora. Like Roxas is with Ven. Except this guy was a more evil. Ven's darkside apparently.

"So, what brings you to the realm of darkness?" Vanitas asked you. "I don't think I've seen you around before, and it's not that simple coming in than coming out."

"Just needed an escape is all." Is what you told him. But was it really?

"Oh?" He hummed, lost in thought for a moment. "Interesting. Escaping reality or..?"

"You could say that."

"Hn."

It was silent again between you two. This was how it went, either one of you ask something then answer and then a silent moment.

"And you?" It was your turn to ask. "What are you doing in the realm of darkness?"

Vanitas was silent. As if refusing to answer your question. You thought it was a bit personal to ask so you opened your mouth to change the question.

"You don't have to—"

"Still finding my way home, I guess." He finally answered, cutting you off from changing the subject. "It seems my dear brother has found his, but I have still yet to." His tone was a bit rough when speaking of his 'brother.'

'He never joined back with Ventus?' You thought, surprised. 'Or is he his own person now?'

Someone's chuckling snapped you out of your thoughts. Turning your head you saw Vanitas smirking at you, amused. "What's with that look of surprise for? Cat got your tongue? Or is it my handsomely good looks?"

You glared at him momentarily, huffing and turning your face away from him. "I guess you and I are on the same boat in a way."

"What?" He actually sounded surprised for once. "How?"

You bitterly smiled. "I ran away from home. I thought I found a new one but I guess I was wrong."

Vanitas took a moment to process what you told him, like you just explained a complex math question to him. "What?"

You sighed, giving him an annoyed glance. "I'm homeless just as you are dumbass."

"Hey!" He yelled, offended. "I am not a dumbass."

"Oh really?" You rose a brow at him. "When's my birthday then?"

"Uh..." The boy trailed off, trying to remember your birthday.

"See? Can't even remember my own birthday." You shook your head in mock disappointment. "Disappointing."

"Tsk. That's not the point doll face." He sneered at you. "At least I have a place to go to. Unlike you, who runs away with tail between your legs like a wuss."

Ohh shiiiit.

That was the last straw for you. You got up, glaring heatedly at him. "You know what? Fuck you!" You spat at him. "All my life I've been nothing but a nuisance and for once I thought I found a place that's worth accepting me. That I probably made a friend but no, I was wrong. Go sulk your emo ass by yourself." Tears formed in your eyes as they fell and Vanitas flinched.

"Wait—"

"No, I'm tired of waiting." With that, you ran away from the shore, further into the realm of darkness.

——

I didn't exactly know how to do Vanitas's character but I hope I did alright portraying him. I also wasn't expecting on going to the Realm of Darkness but I thought it would be fitting for the mood.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Vanitas and I don't intend to make him such an ass like Kairi. I love Kairi too, don't also get me wrong on that.