TWENTY EIGHT

DAMIEN

Kairi and I ended up staying there a little longer, by the time we got out of there it was already dark. The stars shined bright in the sky, I couldn't help but stare. Both of us stood on the beach, it seemed my sister and Sora had left already. In a way that was good, I don't think it was time Kairi faced them yet. Especially those two.

"Wow, the stars are out tonight." Kairi said in awe, I glanced at her to see her looking up at the sky like I was. There was a slight sparkle in her eyes as she gazed up. It made me want to smile but I held it back.

"Yeah." I told her, looking back up at the sky. "It's been a while I saw this many stars at night."

"Really?" She asked, now facing me which made me face her.

I nodded, averting my eyes from her. "The last time I saw the stars was when I was younger. After that incident happened, I never went out anymore and stayed inside."

"Is your family really that bad?" Kairi asked me, making me chuckle darkly.

"I wouldn't call us a family exactly, that term doesn't apply to us anymore." I grinned grimly. I saw Kairi try to reach for me so I took a step back. "The only family I have is (Y/N), maybe if Vincent went back to how he was before then maybe I'll consider him one too."

I felt myself clench my fists, shaking in slight anger. "It's all their fault, IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!" I screamed, feeling dark energy radiate from me. "THEY BROKE THIS FAMILY APART!"

At this point I just had to let it all out, I was seething with anger that I kept pent up from all these years. I felt my body shaking from it. My teeth gritted in anger and I felt like punching the living daylight out of something.

That is, until I felt something press against me.

A pair of arms.

A small, but warm body.

My body tensed up at the contact but I made no move to do anything in return.

"Kairi--what are you doing?" Confusion was evident in my voice, and it clouded my head. What was she doing? Why was she hugging me?

"You need to calm down." Her voice quivered. It was then I noticed she was shaking a bit---was she shaken up? I felt a twinge of guilt rise in me--did I do that?

"I'm--I'm sorry." I apologized, it wasn't like me to blow up like this. I rarely do, I mostly keep to myself.

Kairi tightened her hold on me, burying her face into my chest. "Don't be sorry, but please don't be mad anymore. I don't like it."

I let out a tired sigh. "I'll try, but I can't promise anything."

"Better than nothing."

It was silent between us until I let out a awkward cough. "Uhm, Kairi? W-Would you mind letting me go now?" I felt my cheeks heat up a little now realizing how close we are. I've never been hugged by another girl before so this is a weird feeling for me.

Kairi slowly let go of me but stood close. She still had a worried yet gentle look on her face as she stared at me. I quickly looked at anywhere else but her.

I heard her giggle. "Is someone being shy right now?" I heard the teasing  tone in her voice.

"N-No." I stuttered, feeling my cheeks heat up more. "Y-You got it all wrong."

"Then why are you backing away from me?"

Without even knowing, I did end up taking a few steps away from her. She stood a good couple of feet away from me. However she still kept the amused smile on her face as she stood there. Kairi let out one last laugh before something came to her.

I was about to ask her what it was until she ran forward and grabbed my hand, dragging me off somewhere. I lost my footing a couple of times, man for a small girl she was pretty strong! I let her drag me to wherever she wanted to go until I realized she brought us to the paopu tree that my sister and Sora were on not too long ago.

"Uhm, Kairi?" I asked her. "What are we doing here?"

"Hm?" She hummed, sitting on the tree branch. "I just thought the view would be better here, come on!"

I hesitantly got up and sat next to her, with a reasonable space between us. Turning to look up at the sky, I let out a quiet gasp. Somehow it hit a bit different from seeing it from the sandy shore. I don't know why.

I heard Kairi giggle again from beside me, making me look at her confused. Did I do something funny?

"You look like a kid." She continued to giggle. "It's cute, I'm sorry I couldn't help it."

My lips formed a small pout, looking at the ground a bit dejectedly. "I'm not...a child."

"Oh my, are you really pouting AND sulking right now?? That's so cute!" She cooed.

I pouted even further, sulking more. "I'm not...cute." I only got her from giggling to full on laughter.

Sighing, a thought came to me. I looked at her from the corner of my eye, seeing her not even paying attention to me. I bit my lip anxiously, I don't know if I can pull it off but I'm not gonna end the night with me being the only one flustered. I started scooting a little closer to her, she doesn't even notice.

Then, without any hesitation---well maybe a little---I leaned forward and placed my head on her shoulder.

"I'm not...cute." I said again, nuzzling my face in the area between her shoulder blade and neck. I feel her tense up and immediately stop laughing. Smirking to myself, I managed to make her stop laughing.

"D-Damien?" Kairi let out in shock. "Wh-What are you---?"

"Hm?" I turned my head to look up at her with a straight face. "What?"

A rosy pink hue painted her cheeks as she let out a pout. I chuckle a little, going back to 'nuzzling' her. I was expecting her to maybe push me away but what she does next shocks me even further. I felt her hand brush and fiddle with locks of my hair. Somehow that felt good---like a comforting feeling.

"You dummy..." I heard her whisper as she continued playing with my hair. She said something else but I couldn't hear what it was. I wonder what it was.

But anyway, I don't know if I want to move away or not. I could, but I find myself not wanting to.

"Hey...Kairi?" I asked, hearing her hum in reply. "Can we---stay like this a little longer? I like it when you play with my hair."

Her body stiffened again before relaxing. "Yeah." I heard her say. "We can."

And so the two of us stayed like that for a little longer.

Maybe it was just me---but maybe...

Just maybe...

I might find myself wanting to know more of her than I thought.

----

I felt like in the mood for another chapter :)) I decided to make it another Kairi and Damien one before going back to the main couple. What do you think??