3 - Mono

The bittersweet jazz music drifted into the air. Each and every note that  lifted from the record player Mono knew. He had listened to these records many many times.

He had begun to love jazz music. All the right notes that calmed him. Most the time he knew the soothing music, trumpet, saxophone and the drawn out words of sadness, and heartbreak, and gloom, young love, and happiness and all the topics you could think of to write, were things that kept him from going over edge and snapping at  any moment.

He listened to the notes of the piano, spilling out the way that they did.

Mono was in his office, sitting at his desk. It was gloomy, like the music and very dark with only a small amount of light spilling off of Mono's desk lamp.

Mono liked it in the dark.

His desk was a dark mahogany with a shiny finish, messy with papers all over it, but yet in ways organized.

You'd think he wouldn't have much to do but he took up many hobbies like art, poetry and writing, though he believed he sucked at all of them. It didn't matter anyway. It was all to pass the time.

As he listened to his mournful music, he leaned back into his chair, pulling out his lighter and a cigar from a drawer in his desk. He lit it before relaxing and having a smoke.

Nobody was around to tell him he couldn't.

There were no windows in the room. The walls were plastered with a dark grey blue paper, and only on one wall had it begun to peel. The carpeting was very very soft and a darker tone of grey.

Bookshelves lined two of the four walls, the wall behind the desk in the middle of the room, and the wall in front of it. In front of it though, there was a gap in between the bookshelves for a side table where there was a tank of murky water and some type of odd fish...creature...swimming around in it. Above the tank on the wall hung a painting. It was quite beautiful, a family portrait of sorts, of Mono and his father. Whom he resembled very much now. Though, Mono looked quite better and not as old. He couldn't quite ever place it if he hated the painting or not.

On the far right wall, the dark wood door was hanging open, leading to the hallway, and the opposite wall, the left, was the one with the peeling wallpaper. On that side of the room there were comfy dark leather sofas, facing eachother with a dark wood coffee table in between.

Mono would not be having company anytime soon though to be using them.

The record player sat on a small table near the desk, up against the right wall.

Mono had no ide what to call this room. He spent a lot of time in here so he had eventually decided on study. It didnt need to be called an office since he really had no job to do.

As Mono leaned back, he let himself relax. His muscles let go of built up tension, and his lungs felt refreshed, despite exhaling smoke.

The room smelled of smoke, tobacco, musk, a little bit of aftershave, and rain. The smells that always followed Mono.

The leather on his chair, felt nice and cool against the back of his exposed warm neck.

A slight chill hung in the air but it always did.

Mono just started to pick up the noises of gently rain. He got up to his record player, turning the volume down slightly, so he could listen to the gentle sounds of both.

The music and the rain together blessed his ears. Sometimes a certain note or sound would send shivers, just rarely. It was beautiful. He always appreciated small things like these. They were harder to overlook in his situation.