22 - Mono

I was so disappointed. That was Six? She got a good life and beauty and money and I was left to rot in the pit of hell?

I grumbled quietly but left her tend to me. She put a cold wet rag over my faced and claimed I was burning up with a fever but I couldnt tell. She was a prostitute- probably, what did she know about medicine? I felt too cold and weak to think or protest.

My eyes followed her and I tried to pay attention to anything she would say but I just couldnt understand what she was saying.

I wish she would shut up. Even if I cant hear. Her face is soft. I wish she would not pretend nothing happened.

She had things so much better. And now she came back for what? To play doctor?

"Why..are you here?" I asked wincing in pain.

"W-what?" She asked almost surprised.

"Why are you here? In this room with me? What do you want from me?" I asked tiredly.

She bit her lip thinking. "Your clothes. They're burnt a little where I struck them take off your shirt."

Not knowing what to do I awkwardly slipped my outer shirts off and unbuttoned my dress shirt, looking up at her.

"Oh dear.." she said staring at my stomach. She poked my stomach and j moved in discomfort.

"Answer me"

She looked up at me.

"I'm sorry.." she said quietly.

I looked down at my stomach. I had forgotten how thin and skinny I was. But now there was a black mark. Like a big bruise in the middle of my torso. It was painful to the touch.

The sensation burned and the spot felt hot like a thousand little needle pricks.

"Its..fine..I'll get new clothes-"

"No. Not about that. After all these years....I left you" she said quietly.

Silence hung in the air. Of all the times I had wanted to scream at her. To make her life just as miserable.
But for the first time I had nothing to say.

I laid back down with a small huff and a little groan and gasp of pain. I covered under the blanket not wanting to speak with her anymore.

She backed away and I peeked one of my eyes open to see her reaction.

She fiddled nervously with her hands  not knowing what to do.

"I thought if I came back..you'd understand..maybe..that maybe I could explain."

"Theres nothing to explain Six. If I had known you were the lady I would have never spoke to you." I grumbled tiredly.

"Y-yes there is! Theres everything to explain Mono! Listen to me-"

"No!" I said sitting up quickly. "There! Is! Nothing! You left me! That's how fucking simple it is Six! I dont give a fuck if you're trying to take of me or trying to prove literally fucking nothing! You left me! That's all there is to it"

I laid back down facing away from her.

"I dont need you to take care of me or play nurse I dont need anyone"

After that not much was shared between us which I was glad for. Begrudgingly I guess I will admit it was nice to be cared for but I still hated her just as much.

She fed me soup and helped me sit up and helped with my fever.

I looked away embarassed. It was shameful. To be fed by this wretch.

But still I was regaining my strength.

What made her stay I wonder? What does she want from me?

After a few days when I finally got my strength back I put my clothes back on.

"Mono where are you- Mono!" She said quickly following me out of the hotel room.

"Sorry maam do I know you?" I say coldly continuing on my way. I wonder out through the streets trying to determine my way through pale city.

She called after me as she followed.

She followed me out to the road.

"Look I dont know what happened back there but stay away from me!" I yelled, facing her.

Her face broke and her mouth hung open.

"Just give me a chance to explain! It isnt what you think Mono! Theres a reason I came back. It's you dont you understand?"

"What we used to have, we dont anymore. It's time to go our separate ways"

"Please! If you wont listen to me! Dont go back to the tower. That thing?! It attacked you!"

"And so did you Six!" I screamed.

"Please... even if you dont listen to me... the tower isnt your friend Mono. Its hurting you. I-it did something to you?! To your body!"

For a minute I froze. What was she talking about. And then I seemed to remember, before I woke up in the room all I remember was seeing her.

Things happened! Things I dont remember...

I looked at her, fixing my tie. I inhaled sharply, "I'm taking a train out of Pale City. Goodbye"

And with that I walked away.

"No please! You cant leave! I wasn't sure if you were alive or dead! Mono I care about you! Mono!" She cried. But as I walked further and further she got quieter and quieter.