33 A - Six & Gabby

I couldn't tell him, I really couldn't. He would never accept me. No he would never tolerate me.

I cant accept myself, not for what I am. I am a monster and I was one ever since I could remember.

I don't even remember what did this to me.

Thankfully, she saves me by coming into the room. As if on cue, "So here's the deal, it's really only a matter of time until your little friend here becomes a living flesh vessel for the spirit. But, I have a friend, one who was on my research team. If we can get to him, we might be able to reverse this." She tells us. She wore a bath robe, and a cigarette between her fingers. "I made some calls with some other friends, I know where he is but it won't be easy getting there." She says simply. Her face distant and cold. 

"Don't talk about Mono like that." I say getting defensive. 

"It's simply the truth." 

"And how can I trust this truth?" Mono's brow furrowed and he plucked her cigarette away annoyedly.  He took a few puffs, seeming to smirk from her disgusted reaction. 

"Should you really be doing that?" The corners of her mouth pulled down into a frown as I watched the two. 

"There's worse things for me to do right now doctor lady. This isn't half as bad as what is going on yes?" Mono blew some in her face before getting karma and coughing quite a bit of the smoke out. She hardly reacted, just upturned her nose a bit. I just rolled my eyes, at least he was getting back to himself. I have no idea if that really is a good thing or not. OH WELL! "I asked you a question." Mono rasped whenever he recovered from the coughing fit. 

"Because. Me and my team worked on what is inside of you." Rightfully so we stared at her with puzzled looks. "That little tower you live in is part of our doing, and what is happening to you is as well." 

Mono chuckled. "You don't know what your talking about. The parasites have been in my family for ages. They're passed down to each mayor of Pale city." 

"We made the parasites that live inside you, idiot. It isn't a concept or a magic it is a living being inside your body." She hissed. "We made it in that lab back there. All those guys used to be part of the group a long long time ago." She pulled the ottoman closer, sitting down. 

I glance at Mono, he glances back. There's something shared between us. There is a bigger part of the story that we had no idea ever existed. 

"And so.. a long long time ago.." She started 

"Gabby, this is the closest we have ever come to finding the cure to aging. Do you know what this means?"  He looked up from the desk with a big grin. A small smirk climbed onto my lips and I fixed my lab coat nervously. I always get nervous when he looks at me like that.  

"I know," I sigh, "But I really need to get home. To my daughter. She's been home for hours alone. I should at least see her before I hit the hay." I grin a little wider, coming over to him. "But, you'll text me if you find any important breakthroughs right? And if there's any lab emergencies..and maybe.." I bite my lip. "If you ever feel a little.." 

"A little?" He asked seeming confused. I guess he didn't notice my tone, or my advances. 

"Uh. A little. uhm. Stressed! Yeah! Well, I'll be going." I quickly turned grabbing my keys and leaving as quickly as possible. I have always liked him but, we have only ever been colleagues. Me and Todd would be nothing more. We met when I moved to Pantone and joined at the Institute of Science and Medicine. I have been on the team for about three years, working on a project that Todd had previously started about six years ago.