35 - Six

The three of us huddle near each other as we walk down the chipped dark streets. Puddles silently pool on the black pavement. 

"Welp," I sigh, "We gave a shit about nothing. Jack fucking anything is here. You bunch of worry warts." I look around at the dreary buildings. Windows are either busted out or boarded up. Doors were left to hang open forever through time. Siding was falling off the now off white buildings and roofs were caving in. The whole place had clearly seen better days. 

"I am NOT a worry wart. Excuse me princess, but I've been around longer than you. This place is no fucking joke so both of you shut your traps." Gabby snaps at me. I roll my eyes and silently look the other way. 

Mono was now strangely quiet. I looked over, eyeing how he stared out among the streets. His eyes were dark like the pavement. I truly wondered if any emotion really reflected into them. Or was he just bored? Maybe I am foolish to interpret his silence as anything close to an ounce of care. 

I listen to the crack crack of his lighter for the 50 millionth time since we've been here, as he lights another cigarette. I listen to the inhale and exhale that reminds me of a breeze. "Will you stop that?" I'm starting to get annoyed. "I smell like smoke now because of you." I huffed. 

"Oh, up yours. Princess" He sneers, flipping me off. 

"Oh yeah? You'll be saying up yours when I shove my foot so far up your as-" 

"I said be quiet! Gabby snapped. We turned to look at her before our guilty eyes quickly looked away. "And stop smoking god dammit" She yoinked it away from Mono, throwing it down and squashing it into the pavement. 

"Hey! Okay what the actual fuck now?! Do you know how much one cigarette costs?" He narrowed her eyes at her. 

"I don't think you fucks are taking this shit seriously!" Her many eyes glare up at us as she looked away from her map. 

"Ohhhhh I'm sooooo sorry! How can I? We've been following this crude map of your's for an hour and we haven't seen a single soul or a walking dead. We need to just walk straight to the damn tower. I don't know why you're taking us through  a maze. It is a clear cut direction." I motion in the direction of the distant radio tower. 

"It's not that simple." Gabby sighed. "We have to avoid the hospital, the school, and the warehouses. They used those first as relief buildings and them along with the apartment complexes quickly became quarantine zones. The barred the infected in there. The last time I came here we barely even made it through our route. And this is the best route okay. We're getting close to the sewer entrance. Don't you guys trust me?" 

I could see that Gabby was uptight, stressed to be here. But this felt like a wild goose chase. She had gotten us out of bad situations before, but here I did not trust her judgement. 

"How can I trust you?" 

"I saved your life!" Gabby's many eyes widened. "I saved both of your lives." 

"Look lady I didn't say anything okay" Mono put his hands up. 

"How the hell do I know you're not working for Todd huh? Or that the story about this Todd, is made up bullshit. Maybe you're leading us to our death right now?" I narrow my eyes at her. "This isn't in and out like you told us." I was starting to regret my decision of coming here. This random ghost lady could not be trusted. She could be spewing lies and utter bullshit into our heads. It just made me wonder, what choice would I need to make differently to not be here? Was there really a right choice in my situation? How could I just not save Mono. She tried to make me walk away. She is the enemy here. 

"Okay, okay. Look guys we are all stressed out here. But fighting isn't the answer okay. I know girls are mean and you're just so jealous over how sexy I am that-"