24

Narcolepse had fallen asleep. When he woke up, a woman was sitting beside him with pale blue eyes and short brown hair. She held out her hand to him.
"I'm Evelyn."
He took her hand and gave it a slow, hesitant shake.
"Narcolepse..."
"How're you feeling?"
"Like I walked a thousand miles after being in a car accident."
"Fair response. How would you feel about starting classes while you heal? You'll be learning the same things as the other boys."
"Yes. I would really like that. Anything is better than sitting here all day doing nothing."
"Great. I'll have a teacher come in tomorrow to begin working with you."
Evelyn stood and Narcolepse quickly grabbed her wrist.
"Wait. What do you people know? What aren't you telling me?"
"I was just about to get to that. Now if you would please let me go so I can show you?"
Narcolepse let go of her. She went out of the room and came back with a projector and a screen that hung from a black frame. She took time to set it up and started speaking while she did.
"We had a biochemist in our ranks who used to work on plants. She did a bit more studying and we prepped her before she applied for a job with a company that supposedly works with genetically modified organisms. We've had our eyes on them for a while, suspicious, but not quite certain it was them. She began working and gaining their trust. They admired her intellect and saw potential in her. So, she was taken in and shown the secrets behind the mask."
She turned on the projector and a picture showed up on the screen. A disgusting looking tan mass with several tentacles and a mouth with rows and rows of teeth. It was eyeless and shiny like it was wet.
"What the hell is that thing?"
"This is the monster you kids were warned about. This is the monster snatching up kids and never returning them."
"Explain this. How is it able to snatch up kids and murder people without anyone noticing it?"
Evelyn flipped to another slide.
"Because it isn't as big as you think it is and it doesn't work the way you think it might."
The picture was of a human brain and the monster beside it. The monster was miniscule. She flipped to the next slide which was an animated video. She hit play with her remote. On the screen was a laboratory and a scientist holding the monster in a pair of forceps.
"This is test subject number fifteen. Commencing experiment number twenty two."
The scientist moved away from the camera and revealed a young woman strapped to a table.
"What is that? What is that? What're you doing?"
The scientist released the monster by her head and it grabbed onto her face and pulled itself up. She squirmed and screamed as the monster climbed into her ear and disappeared. Her screaming eventually came to an abrupt stop and blood leaked from her ear. The scientist stood back and watched. He checked a clock. Then, he checked her breathing and pulse. He sighed and removed the straps, then stepped back over to the camera.
"Test subject fifteen appears to have-"
The girl gasped and sat up behind the scientist. He jumped and cried out in fear. Then he faced the girl.
"Oh my god! I did it!"
The girl looked at him with blank eyes as she said,
"How may I be of assistance?"
"Tell me your name."
"Grace. How may I assist you?"
"Grace! Stand up and dance."
The girl stood and began to twirl around like a ballet dancer. The video ended.
"The monsters turn the kids into robots?"
Narcolepse asked.
"Precisely. With further testing and training their robots, they were able to create soldier children able to sneak into the safe houses and gather intelligence and trust to pave the way for raids."
"Raids?"
"Yes. Like the one at your old home."
Narcolepse swallowed.
"Books."
"Yes."
Evelyn clicked to another slide.
"And Roderick."
The slide held another video. And in the video, the albino was strapped to a table. His head was shaved and he was unconscious. Evelyn hit play.
"We will now attempt to remove the experiment from his brain. Joining us is doctor Nazeris. Her neurosurgical skills are unmatched and godlike. I trust her with all my test subjects' brains."
The video cut out, then started again after the completed surgery.
"The surgery was a success. The experiment has been removed without any damage to the brain that is recognizable. Now all we have to do is wait for him to wake up."
The video slipped forward again and the scientist was rubbing his forehead.
"Our test subject has developed some sort of... intellectual disability. He doesn't respond the way he used to. He has the mindset of a child who is not all there. He speaks in rhymes and riddles and can't focus long. He's broken. We will be sending him away and hope that the next experiment is more successful."
The video ended and Narcolepse had chills. Roderick wasn't always broken. He didn't have a melt down. They played with his brain and they ruined him. Now he was angry and he knew what had to be done. This needed to end. The experiments. The scientists. He had to heal faster and be stronger and go after the fuckers that did this to his friend.
"They will pay."
"Of that, there is no doubt."
Evelyn responded.