59

Roderick had to leave at the request of Books a few moments later. Something about extra energy. Snow sighed and left the room, going to wander the halls. He was halfway to his room when someone wanted to get the summary of the mission. They wanted to learn the whole story. He told them about the mutants on the plane and the hospital in Italy and... How Nicholas got left behind.

"What's going to happen to him?"

"I don't know... Just hope for the best, ok?"

Snow nodded and left the room. He went to his bunk and sat on the bed, pulling his knees to his chest. He couldn't win, it seemed. Save one, but lose another in the process. At least they had Roderick and Freak. At least Books was on their side again. But... He didn't really know that for sure, yet. He still had his suspicions. He wondered how Narcolepse was doing... He hoped that he would be ok. The two of them... They could survive this, right? A memory entered his mind, Narcolepse, scarred and vulnerable. 'I want to bare myself to you.' And all Snow did in return... Tears began dripping onto his knees and small sobs left his lips. This was unfair. He was unfair. He didn't deserve Narcolepse and Narcolepse didn't deserve what he was going through now. If they ever got Narcolepse back... Would he even be the same person Snow had fallen for?

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. God, I'm so sorry!"

He yelled into the silence and emptiness of the room. His voice rang back to him and his sobbing got worse, ruining his breathing pattern and causing little hiccups to leave his lips.

"Goddammit! Damn me! Why did you take him?! It should've been me!"

He screamed at the ceiling, icicles beginning to drip down from it and snowflakes drifted down around him. The floor was ice and he had no intentions of reeling it all back in. He was too upset, too weak to control it now.

"What have I done? What have they done, Narcolepse...?"

Snow sniffled and wiped his cold nose on his jacket sleeve, bowing his head. His crying slowly came to a numbing end and he sat alone in the silence left behind, ringing in his ears and reminding him that while he may have friends, this was a mission all his own. It was up to him to save the Mutants. There was no going back from this point in time. He couldn't just back out or throw in the towel. Wave a white flag and tell everyone that he surrendered. Because that was not his decision to make. He couldn't just choose to let the Mutant world die. That would've been wrong. And who the hell was he, thinking he could play God with the many lives of Mutants? He had to do this and he had to do it alone, in the end. That was his terrible reality that he wished would go away and rot in the depths of hell.

Author's Note
Hello, lovely readers! Long time, no update lol. I have been dealing with some challenging times right now regarding my physical health and mental health. Things have been hard for me and writing just wasn't in the cards for a while. But I'm happy to say that I finally pushed through and returned to my boys. I know the chapter was awful and I cried with Snow while writing it lol, but hey. I finally did it. I'm proud of myself and things are starting to look up, if even a little bit. Thank you for reading and enjoying my work, sticking with me this far and giving this story love. Thank you for loving my boys with me. They are my reason to smile today.

-Bleeding Beauty