73

After several hours, Snow woke up and looked around the car. Roderick was asleep on Nicholas' shoulder and Books had Freak leaning against his side while his chair was leaned back up front. He turned his attention to Skins, seated at the wheel.

"Where are we going?"

"I have to get in contact with some old friends... It'll be a while."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I have to find a safe means of contacting them and then a safe way to get to them without being tracked or followed."

Snow watched the woman wipe one side of her face with one hand, then the other, keeping one on the wheel at all times. She had been crying. He hadn't even realized. Her voice was so steady.

"Are you alright?"

Skins let out a long, shaky breath then said,

"Yeah."

He had no clue what she had been through since the last time he'd seen her. Being in that prison couldn't have been easy...

"How did you know I was alive?"

She asked all of a sudden. Snow blinked a few times, then cleared his throat.

"Um, well, Roderick and Nicholas knew. They just passed the information along and then we found the files on you."

"Files..."

She gave a little laugh.

"Those stupid scientists should learn to go digital."

Snow frowned.

"If they did that, we never would've found anything."

"Yes, that's true, I suppose."

Snow turned to look out the window. He wondered how Narcolepse was doing. How quickly things had changed...

"How did this all turn to hell like this? In one night... Just everything was ruined. It was so perfect before..."

Skins looked at him through the rearview mirror.

"Hey. Keep your chin up, Snow. We'll get through this."

"Will we...?"

Skins bit her bottom lip and returned her eyes to the road. He was the mutants' last hope... If he didn't have the confidence and surety in his own abilities... If he didn't hold hope for the future... She gulped. The mutant world was doomed if that kid couldn't believe in himself. Something needed to be done about that. Hope needed to be restored. But how? Maybe her old friends could offer some sort of solution... God, she hoped so.