56

Bodies began dropping behind Snow as he ran and ran, going straight for the gates. He couldn't stop. No, he couldn't stop for anything. He couldn't stop to see if Nicholas was behind him. He couldn't stop to look at the bodies. He couldn't stop to see if he was still being chased. He had to keep going. Freak was with him now and the boy needed help. He wasn't going to let go. Not of his family. Not until he was safe. So he ran and he ran and he didn't stop. Not until the gunshots faded and his legs felt ready to give out. He held Freak closer and found a spot to rest. He put a hoodie over Freak's body and put him into some jeans as he started to wake up.
"Snow..."
"Shh... We're not in the clear yet. We'll talk later, alright?"
Freak nodded and did his best to help while Snow put shoes on his feet. Snow could tell the boy was weak. He was tired and god, he looked so sick. Snow kissed Freak's forehead, then picked him up again and started walking back to the car. He buckled Freak in, then waited ten minutes for Nicholas. He didn't know how much time to give him before deciding he wasn't going to come back. Snow breathed shakily and gave it another five minutes, then got in the car, started it up, and began the drive back to Paris.
"Snow?"
"Yeah?"
"What were you waiting for?"
Snow let out a long, shaky breath.
"A friend."
"What's gonna happen to your friend?"
"I don't know... Nothing, I hope. But if something does... We'll get him back and those that hurt him will pay."
"I'm tired, Snow..."
"It's ok to rest. You're safe."
"Ok..."
Snow glanced back at the boy from the rearview mirror and saw him quickly drifting to sleep with his head against the door. He wasn't wearing his natural blue skin. Even now, as he slept. Snow sighed and looked back out at the road. It would be ok... Freak was going to get better. He had to.