71

Nicholas stared at Snow with a slack jaw. Snow frowned.

"What...?"

"That's what this was all about? That's what you needed Skins for? That's why we went through all that shit... To get the name of your friend?"

"Well, that's not the only reason, I mean I wanted Skins back where she belonged. She's my family and a good ally."

"No, you don't understand. I could have told you his name."

"What?"

"Yeah, I was there when they were processing him into the system. I heard the interview."

Snow just stared at him. He couldn't believe it. The answer had been sitting so close to him this entire time...

"Fuck."

-

Books stared at the three of them tiredly.

"Even if it worked, Snow... You're still stupid and crazy."

"Thanks. I try."

Books rolled his eyes.

"You should've been here. Freak isn't feeling his best and Roderick found him an inch from life a week ago. If he wasn't a healer, we could've lost him."

Snow went pale.

"Oh god..."

"You should go see him."

"Yeah."

Snow left Nicholas and Skins with Books and went to see the boy. Freak was staring up at the ceiling with a tear rolling down his cheek. Roderick was holding his hand and whispering softly to him. Freak slowly turned and looked at Snow.

"Where have you been?"

"I went to rescue Skins."

"Did it work...?"

"Yes. She's here now."

"Good..."

Snow went to the other side of the bed and took Freak's other hand.

"How are you doing?"

"Oh, you know... Just great. Fucking peachy."

"Whoa, since when do you curse?"

"Since I stopped giving a rat's ass about everything. I'm done. I'm done praying my demons away. I'm done thinking I can be saved. If I'm a demon from hell, then I'm going to hell. There's no way to stop it anymore."

"You're not. You're not a demon from hell."

"Oh yeah? Then explain why all the people I spied on are dead now. Women, children, and their fathers... I'm a murderer. Tell me how that does not make me a demon who's going to hell."

"You didn't do it on your own. You didn't do it on purpose. Someone forced your body to do these things. You, personally, did nothing. You couldn't do anything. This was not your fault. Do you understand that? It was not you."

"Yes it was! It was my body! It was my hands!"

"Look at your hands."

Freak raised a brow at Snow, then looked at his hands, one in each of his friends.

"What?"

"Did those blue beautiful hands ever touch a hair on any of those people's heads?"

"No..."

"Exactly. Because you didn't kill them. Not you. The beautiful, golden eyed, you. Did not kill a single soul. Maybe your other skin aided in their deaths, but not you. Not you. Understand?"

Freak nodded and started to sob. Roderick frowned and stood up, pulling Freak to his chest and hugging him close. He ran his fingers through his dark hair and hushed him softly. Snow let out a soft breath and left the room, letting Skins go in after him. He went and found Books and Nicholas and interrupted Nicholas in the middle of his sentence, telling Books,

"I'm going on another mission. I'm getting Narcolepse's file. Tonight."

"Snow, really-"

"Yes! Yes, really! I need him back. I need him safe! You don't get it, do you?! Every second I waste is another second he goes through hell! I'm getting him back."

Snow left the two to go prepare.

"Yeah. He's fucking psycho."

Books said to Nicholas. Nicholas just shook his head. No. That kid wasn't psycho. He was determined. Dedicated. Devoted.