86

Kinz chose Freak to go first. They went upstairs to a room and Kinz pulled a chair up for Freak to sit on while she took a seat at a desk.

"I know you've been feeling disconnected from the world. Can you tell me about that?"

Freak let out a sigh.

"I got people hurt... And people have hurt me. I've been so lost in my own head and everything is becoming confusing and distorted. All the good things are turning twisted and bad. I can't stop thinking that I just want to stop being. I don't want to live in the twisted world we're in right now."

Kinzley touched his hand and stared deep into his golden eyes.

"Things may look bad right now, but they will be good again in the future. And that future will shine much brighter than our current world. Wouldn't you like to see that huge change?"

-

When Freak came back down, he had a faint smile and everyone could feel his lighter spirit and slightly better outlook on things. He was going to be ok... At least for a while. Nicholas was called up next. He seemed a bit skeptical as he sat across from Kinzley, doubtful that she could help him with his hauntings of the past.

"You have a deep understanding and good control over your powers... Because you hurt someone in the past with them. Right?"

"Yes..."

"Nick, you need to learn to let things go..."

"How could I let go of someone so important in my life?"

"Was she important?"

"Yes!"

"Think about it, Nick. You were young when you matured into your ability. Why do you think that was?"

Nick went very quiet and Kinz touched his hand.

"Let her go..."

Nick closed his eyes and a tear slid down his cheek as he let his memories of his mother fade into the back of his mind. He had to let her go... When Nicholas came back down, he was sniffling with red rimmed eyes, but he seemed less heavy. Some of his baggage was taken off his shoulders.

"Roderick?"

Kinzley called. The albino gulped and headed upstairs to the young lady. When he got up to the room and stood in front of her, she cupped his cheeks in her hands.

"You and I aren't so different. You heal wounds. I heal the internal ones. But we can't heal ourselves... No matter how much we wish we could."

Roderick nodded and looked at the floor.

"You've done everything you could've done. You don't need to be so hard on yourself. You are an important and valuable member to this group. To this... Family. And you'll be an even better contributor now, more than ever, because your mind is clear. Isn't that right?"

Roderick nodded again.

"Be their light in the darkness..."

Kinz kissed Roderick's forehead, then let him go. Later the albino left the room, going back down to the group with puffy eyes and a large goofy grin.

"Books."

He was already halfway up the stairs when she called for him. He took a seat and she took hers.

"Ok, so tell me what darkness surrounds my soul."

Kinzley frowned.

"Books, you already know. You're wise."

"Right, but what is it? Do you really know?"

"Yes. You know how your friends look at you. You know they're constantly worrying you'll turn your back and betray them all again. And you're looking for every way possible to prove them wrong, change their minds, make them see you in a different light. You want them to trust you, even though it's a difficult task for them after all you've done. And this pains you."