78

"Skins? What the hell is that?"

"Everyone, close your eyes! Close your eyes now!"

The boys squeezed their eyes shut.

"What's going on?"

"He's a Nightmare Mutant. Do not open your eyes until I tell you it is safe to do so."

"How did he find us?!"

"Oh my god..."

"Everyone be quiet, please!"

Skins shouted at them. Silence filled the vehicle. Then they started moving forward. They could all hear Skins breathing shakily and Snow could practically feel her trembling.

"Skins?"
"Shh."

The car suddenly came to a stop and Skins began to scream. The boys jumped and turned their heads left and right, but they didn't open their eyes.

"Skins, what's going on?! Skins!"

"Don't touch me! No!"

She yelled, the fear evident in her voice.

"What do we do?"

Snow asked. He heard Books respond.

"Someone has to take over the wheel. They have to brave it and open their eyes."

"Who, though?"

"I will."
Nicholas said. Snow felt Nicholas climbing over him, so he scooted into the empty seat and let Nicholas take over.

"Ow! Ow, dammit! Skins! Stop hitting me!"

Snow tried not to smirk due to the seriousness of their situation, but it was hard not to. Nicholas got the vehicle moving again and sped them off down the road. Skins went into hysterics and Nicholas yelled at her,

"Get it together, woman! I'm driving!"

"Calm down, Nicholas!"
Freak said.

"Don't tell me that, tell her!"

"All of you just shut up."

Snow said.

"Did you see that weird guy outside?"

"No..."

"So he's gone...?"

"I guess so."

"What the hell...?"

"Can we open our eyes, then?"

Freak asked.

"I don't think it would be wise until we're safely inside somewhere..."

The car fell into silence as they drove on. Eventually, they stopped at a little old motel and got themselves a room. They helped Skins inside, still petrified and shaking. She couldn't even stand on her own. Once she was lying down, the boys split up to sleep for the night. When morning came, Skins was still a bit out of it.

"Where are we? How did we get here? Is everyone alright? Alive and accounted for? Is anyone hurt?!"

"We're fine. Lie back down. We're at a motel a few miles away from the attack site."

Said Books. He held her hand as she laid herself back down on the bed.

"We're safe. Do you feel safe?"

Skins mumbled something incoherently, then slowly drifted to sleep. Roderick bit his lip and squeezed Freak's shoulders lightly.

"What are we supposed to do? She can't travel in this condition."

Snow looked at the two.

"We wait it out. We stay here until she gets over this. Simple as that."

"How long is that going to take?"

"I don't know... We'll just have to wait and see."