8

Many hours later, night had fallen and Freak was asleep next to Narcolepse. He could hear Snow quietly speaking with Phoenix. He started listening in when Phoenix said,
"So you've never dated a girl?"
"No... I've never really been that interested in women. Other than you. You're the first I've ever been so curious about that I would risk losing things to find out more."
"Is that so? Maybe there's some part of you that actually is into women. You just haven't found the right one to pique your interest until now."
"Huh. I've never thought about it that way."
"So there's a possibility there?"
"Yeah. I could be bi, I guess. Maybe ninety percent into males and ten into women, though. Or even less than ten. I've only ever been with two people my whole life. Both were guys."
Narcolepse sat back and frowned. This woman was going to try and tear Snow from his life, wasn't she? And if Snow wanted that, well.... Narcolepse was going to have no other choice but to let her. He turned his gaze out the window and shut out the rest of the world. It was all he could do to keep from falling apart, breaking down, curling into a ball and just screaming. He couldn't be doing that, now could he? He just needed to learn to accept that this world would never love him. He looked at Freak and how he slept so peacefully, oblivious to the world around him and how it seemed to be falling apart. The kid was so lucky. He would have a nice family to look after him, Narcolepse would make sure of it before he abandoned the world. He was living inside his own personal hell and he saw no way of escaping it. It took everything he had not to succumb to the whispers in his mind. He was tired. No. He was about to have an episode.
"Snow."
And then the lights went out.