32 Rewrite

~It's dark inside a mind that can't remember how to function properly. Sometimes, just sometimes, I remember what it was like to speak and be free. But even when I remember those times... It can be difficult to put the memory to use. I try and cry for help. I try and reach out for someone to save me from the cage that is my own mind. I scream and I yell and I pound on the dark cell walls but the message never gets through. I am here. I am trapped here. Can anyone release me? Twinkle twinkle little star... How I wonder when I got this far.

Roderick jerked and cried out, screaming at the top of his lungs and thrashing around like a live wire.

"Don't touch him!"

A woman screamed.

"You'll make it worse! Just get him some damn fish, like I told you weeks ago! He calms right down when he has his fish!"

"Shut her up! I've had just about enough of this shit. Give me the tranquilizer."

"No! Stop it!"

Roderick's screams stopped and his body went still while the woman cried.~

Narcolepse poked at his food mindlessly. There was no enjoyment in this. There was no point to this. No point to any of it. Why did he keep fighting like this when the ending was always the same? Freak touched his wrist.

"Please don't leave me..."

He whispered.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen. I was scared."

"Shh..."

Narcolepse pet Freak's hair.

"It's not your fault..."

The boy hadn't let his blue skin show since he got back. It must've been tiring for him, keeping up the masquerade. But it made him more comfortable than being stared at. Narcolepse hugged the boy close and closed his eyes.

"It isn't your fault."

Freak held Narcolepse tightly around his middle, crushing his ribs. It wasn't a hard thing to do since he hadn't been eating much lately. He had no appetite. No desire to eat, even when his belly rumbled. He couldn't force it to go down his throat. It just made him sick.

"I'm here..."

"But for how long?"

Freak whispered. Narcolepse let out a sigh.

"As long as I can."

When Freak eventually slid away, Narcolepse tried to eat again. He was able to stomach three bites before he headed back to his room. On his way there, he passed Pho- Mirage as she was escorted to the cafeteria. He paused. And then he was following her back to the cafeteria. Why was he doing this? What was she going to solve? He sighed and shook his head. He had to reach out. He was out on the last limb. If it broke and he fell, so be it.