68

Snow unlocked the cell with a pair of keys Nicholas magically lifted from one of the prison guards. The door swung open and he watched as a figure swung their legs over the edge of the top bunk and leaned forward to stare at the two of them. A muscular bald man... Not Skins.

"Who are you...?"

Snow looked at Nicholas.

"This was the right cell, right?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure."

"You're pretty sure? I need you to be one hundred percent sure."

"I'm one hundred percent sure!"

"Snow...?"

Said a woman's voice. He turned back to the person on the top bunk, the wig coming around to smack him in the face. He spit and scratched his face, then pushed the wig off. The person on the top bunk had transformed. It was no longer a muscular bald man but the woman he knew as Skins. With her porcelain skin and ocean blue eyes. She looked small and frail and oh so tired. Her hair that had always been tightly wound up in a bun, was down and knotted and dirty.

"What are you doing here?"

"Rescuing you?"

Snow said, like it was obvious. Well, it should've been.

"How are you here? How did you even know I was alive?"

"That's a story for another time that isn't now. We gotta go."

Skins hopped off the bed and followed the boys out of the cell, Snow adjusting the red wig back on his head. They were heading toward an exit when a sound split the silence, a loud ringing and blaring alarm followed by shouting guards.

"I think we've been discovered!"
"No shit, Nicholas!"

The three took off running in the opposite direction, fleeing down a flight of stairs and into a large courtyard.

"Bad idea!"

Skins said, taking their wrists, then leading them into a lunch hall. She looked up and down the halls, then ran them into the kitchen.

"You still have those keys?"

She asked, looking at Snow. He pulled them from his wig.

"Good."

She snatched them and went to a locked door, soon getting it open and leading to the outside.

"They had to get deliveries in somehow..."

The boys looked at each other. Nicholas smiled and shrugged, then followed the woman out into the blazing desert heat. Just as they thought they were home free, the gate leading out slid closed.

"Shit. Shit, now what?"

Skins looked around at the towering fences, topped with barbed wire. She huffed a sigh.

"I don't know."