48

"This is ridiculous. Where are they all going?"
"As of right now, ma'am? We've no idea."
"Then figure it out! We're starting to look bad in the sponsors eyes and they're going to start withdrawing funds. Our research is going to go backwards, the operation will be shut down and the soldiers will be taken."
"Why would they take the soldiers?"
"To use them, dimwit. They'll turn them against America and start wars, taking land, who knows? We can't let that happen so find my fucking weapons and find them now!"
When the man standing beside her didn't move, she smacked his arm with a vanilla file and yelled,
"Why're you still here?! Get moving, find them!"
The man rushed off and she sat in her office chair and massaged her temples. This was bad. This was really bad. They had to get the intellectual one back. He could ruin everything. He knew way too much. They had to end him. It was the only way to protect what they had started, here. A new American order. One day it would spread to the rest of the world! People would no longer have to starve. People would all have homes and jobs and be happy and healthy and it would all be beautiful, all under the rule of one distinct council in each continent. She had been picturing this ever since she was a child. A world of peace and happiness. Where no one was left in need. No begging on the streets, no jobless citizens, no immigrants flooding from country to country. They could control the population growth, cut down the emissions in the air, save the planet from things like global warming! All with the strength of these mutant children... People always said the next generation was to be invested in. Because they would change the world... For the better. There would be no worse when she was the one holding the controls. This was it. The world was changing at her fingertips. She had all the power. And no one would get away with taking it from her. Not for long. They would find these... renegades and they would take them all out. Put an end to their small, feeble little uprising. It was pointless, after all. They had millions. These mutants had a little over two hundred. It would do nothing against the greater numbers she held. There really wasn't much to worry about. It was a minor setback and it could be fixed. Right...?