70

"Are you sure this was the best route to take...?"

Snow whispered as he opened another cell.

"Shh, just open them."

Skins said as she went inside the room. Snow cursed quietly, then went to the next cell and unlocked it, slowly going down the line. He wasn't sure what Skins was planning. All he knew was that it had better work and that it had better work fast. Because Nicholas was getting tired and burnt out. He was opening the last cell of the row when someone tapped his shoulder. He looked up and found a guard glaring down at him.

"Shit."

Snow dropped the keys and took off running, back the way he came.

"Skins! Skins, they found me!"

The cell doors started bursting open and the prisoners emerged, all of them taking different shapes. Snow knew one of them had a mohawk of knives that he could infinitely pull from his head. There was another that could absorb metal and turn it into a weapon inside his body. And then there were those like Freak, their bodies naturally a different color or holding some sort of abnormality that was purely them and made them beautiful. Snow's arm was grabbed and he was pulled into one of the cells with Skins. The woman smiled.

"You did good, kid. C'mon. Let's get out of here."

They went into the crowd and blended in with the escaped prisoners, Snow keeping his eyes peeled for Nicholas. He was supposed to be getting them guard uniforms. How long should that take him? Did he get captured? Was he ok? A hand wrapped around his elbow crease and he gasped, turning to find Nicholas dressed as a guard. He let out a relieved sigh and followed him into a cell where he had hid two other uniforms. Snow and Skins quickly changed into them.

"Ok... What now?"

Snow asked while covering his white hair with a hat.

"Now..."

Skins said, then pulled out a keycard.

"We let everyone out."

"We... What?"

"I'm not leaving them here."

Skins said, giving Snow a glare that dared him to argue with her. He nodded.

"Ok, fine. We'll let them out."

"Good."

Skins headed to the first inner gate. She swiped the keycard and watched as the guards started freaking out, a smile making its way across her lips.

"That's right. You can't keep them contained anymore."

The prisoners ran for the gates and Skins pulled Nicholas and Snow through before they could get trampled. She led them to the guard tower and used the butt of a gun to knock out three of them before pushing the button for the next gate. It began rolling open and they watched as the prisoners flooded out into the desert.

"Alright, boys. Let's get out of here."

The three of them turned to the door and then froze. A guard stood there with a gun, pointing it between the three of them.

"Don't any of you fucking move."

A moment later, they heard something whizzing through the air and then a wet thunk. The guard fell forward with a knife embedded in the back of his skull. Snow looked toward the person he'd seen before. A man with a mohawk of knives.

"We've got your back, Skins! Go!"

The three rushed out of the tower and through the crowd, quickly making their escape. They ran and ran. Following Nicholas to where he hid the car.

"Well!"

Snow said.

"That went nothing like planned!"

Nicholas laughed and opened the door to the car, getting into the front seat. Skins took the passenger side and Snow hopped into the back. Soon enough, they were on their way back to headquarters. When enough time had settled between them and they had all caught their breath, calming for the road ahead, Skins spoke.

"Why did you boys do this?"

Snow let out a soft breath.

"I need to know Narcolepse's real name in order to find him. They put his file in a cabinet close to our headquarters and it's simple to get it, but... I didn't know his name."

Skins bit her lip and was quiet for a moment, then slowly exhaled.

"Adrian Wood."