63

Nicholas glanced at Snow from the corner of his eyes. So this was him. The Elementalist meant to save the world of Mutants. He didn't look all that terrifying, sleeping with his head against the window and his body looking so tiny and frail. Who decided to put the entire Mutant world into the hands of him? He shook his head at the thought. He couldn't believe his life depended on this kid. Whatever Snow did, though... It wouldn't matter. If he won the final battle, well, fantastic. But... If he lost... Nicholas rubbed the back of his neck. He still had somewhere to go if Snow lost. He could go to the scientists and they would help him. They promised to take his mutation away. Correct it. It would be a miracle if they succeeded, but that wouldn't reverse the damage he'd already done. It would only make it possible for him to lead a normal life in the future.

In all honesty, Nicholas hadn't chosen a side. He was just balancing between the two. He aided both the scientists and the Mutants, evening out the balances between them. He was waiting for one to tip on its own before he made any real decisions.

He wondered what was in Arizona for Snow. All he'd said was 'A friend.' when Nicholas asked. Nicholas sighed and eventually pulled over to gas up and rest.

"Mom?"

"I'm sorry, are you lost? Do you know where your mommy is?"

"You're my mom."

"No, sweetie, I think you have me mistaken for someone else. Come with me, what does your mommy look like? Where did you last see her?"

"Stop! Mom, it's me, it's Nick!"

"Is that your name? Ok."

Nicholas looked at the security officer as the woman stopped and said to him,

"Excuse me, this child has lost his mommy. He says his name is Nick."

"Mom? What're you doing? That's not funny."

"See, he's a little confused. He thinks I'm his mother."

"You are! You're the one confused!"

"No, kid, I don't know you. Please let go of me."

"Mom!"

"I am not your mother! Now let go of me."

Nicholas watched with big eyes as she turned her back to him and walked away.

"Mom!"

She didn't even look back.

"Mommy!"

Nicholas opened his eyes and stared at the roof of the car. He let out a soft sigh and they got back on the road.

"Are you alright?"

"Just fine, Snow. Do you need something to eat?"

Nicholas said, glancing at Snow.

"No, all good. I got something from the vending machine earlier."

"What vending machine?"

Nicholas asked while rubbing under one of his eyes.

"The one at the rest stop."

"Oh."

"Do you need something to eat?"

"No, I'm fine."

"You look like you could use a coffee. I'll buy you one at the next gas station."

Nicholas didn't respond. After several minutes of silence, Snow turned on the radio and it drowned out the silence between them. Nicholas was glad for the distraction from his thoughts.