Sunday//03

Sunday: Seventh day of the week, before Monday, following Saturday.
———————————————————

(Y/N) couldn't wait for Sunday to arrive. Very aware of the fact that she would most likely be disappointed, knowing that the chances of someone seeing the letter and actually responding were really low.

She talked to Oliver again on Wednesday and told him that she had written the letter and left it in the forest. He found it funny that she would pick a forest as a place to make new friends, like she didn't panic about a murderer a couple of days ago.

The girl was oddly cheerful today, going as far to make proper breakfast for herself and taking a shower a little longer than usual. It was early, the girl didn't want to risk going to the forest after twelve even if the sun sets after five.

She packed her notepad, pen and a couple of other things just in case she needs it to protect herself and headed outside. For a Sunday morning a lot of people walked around so she felt safe.

Going through the path in the forest, she watched as joggers went ahead of her, wondering how they have the energy to do it every morning. She found it funny how nervous the murder had her while there are all these people continuing with their lives normally.

She thought that maybe, they were on the edge about it as well but didn't choose to let that ruin their daily life. The only thing you could do was just be careful, there isn't much to it really. It took her a whole week to realize that one blatantly obvious thing, and now that she did, she walked peacefully on the path.

The tree stood still even with the light wind blowing left and right.

Slowly walking around she noticed that the hole was empty, but before disappointment traced her face, she came closer and noticed a paper piece sticking out of some dried leaves and small twigs. Taking out the folded paper, she opened it only to see someone else's handwriting.

The girl felt like screaming in joy, her stupid idea actually worked, she actually had someone respond to her. She jumped giddily towards a bench near the smaller path and sat down to read the letter.

"Hello.
I must say that you are lucky someone actually found this. The way you hid it, I don't think that regular bypassers would even notice it, it was very hard to see the hidden letter. Most importantly the idea truly was idiotic, but then again I am responding to you. You have asked me how my day went, so I assume I should respond briefly. I have a couple of problems ahead of me, so I am trying to resolve them as fast as I can. It will probably take some time so for now I am stuck. That is all. How was your day?"

Jack skimmed through the letter he had written multiple times. Not because he was nervous about it, but rather knowing that a human left this letter here and he had to try and not slip up, saying something that would give away his location and who he is. He thought about why was he even responding, but the growling of his stomach would shut those thoughts up rather quickly. He was hungry.

His little mistake that happened four days ago has put him in a tight position. He never planned on killing the couple, but the woman had to wake up during the procedure of removing her kidney which resulted in her and her husband's death.

He would admit that he shouldn't have made such a mess, but he was getting hungrier and when that happens, he has little to no control to what he does. Now the police are after him, even if they don't know how he looks like and there's no evidence of his presence ever being there, he still had to be careful.

He couldn't kill again, let alone try and steal someone's kidney because it would alarm the authorities and he was sure they would go in large search parties which was something he can't have happen.

Jack folded the paper neatly and buried it underneath the leaves and twigs in the same hole he found it in. Whoever this human was, he thought, they have pathetic ways of making friends if that's what they were subconsciously hoping would come out of this.

The way they wrote looked like they were being too nice for their own good, they seemed like someone who would be very easy to trick.

He knew how dangerous it was for him to have any type of contact with anyone, talk about a human being, but he was desperate for a distraction. He hadn't eaten in four days, and knowing his own situation his two choices were to either wait just a little bit more or to steal a freshly buried person.

The other option would have its risks too, cemeteries these days have security guards so he would have to pinpoint the time he'd strike – and it would take him a while to do that.

He wondered if the person would actually follow through with their little plan and come back to write another letter, and if so, when? Funny enough he hoped they would, because even if it's a small distraction it works for a while.

The letter was weird, (Y/N) concluded, folding it back. She had so many questions to ask – Why do they write like someone is holding them hostage? What are the problems this person had?

The whole concept of the letter seemed so puzzling, but (Y/N) was glad she actually got a response. She chuckled at her previous worries and realized that Oliver was indeed right. First thing she did was text him about her new pen-pal - smiling at the message before hitting send, she was proud that her silly idea actually worked.

(Y/N) always loved the idea of sending letters to a stranger. When she was young and watched old movies and various cartoons in which they would talk via letters, she'd daydream about doing that one day. She tried multiple times as a child, but her parents would always stop her from doing it, which she understands, they were only worried.

Looking at the letter again, (Y/N) couldn't help but giggle, the joy she felt at that moment was just too much to contain. She felt like a toddler. The girl paused for a moment to look at her surroundings and inhale the fresh air. At this point, not many joggers were around, but there were a couple of old people walking in small groups, chatting about something only they could understand best.

Pulling out her notepad and her pen, (Y/N) thought about what she should write for a second, and finally let loose.

"Dear stranger,
I'm very glad you've responded to my letter! I hope you are doing well, reading about the problems you have I can only hope that you will resolve them quickly. You could tell me about it if you want and if you're fine with sharing – however I'm not going to pressure you, I'm just thinking that maybe I can help, who knows. All in all, I hope everything goes well. As for me, my day is currently going very well, last week was a little bit hectic but I managed. Work was the most annoying part of it all, but my coworker helps me get through the day so it's fine. Do you work? If you do, is it fun? :)"

Happy with the outcome, she ripped the paper out of her notepad and folded it. Packing her stuff, she got up and put the paper at the same place. Noticing that she spent a whole hour in the forest didn't seem to bother her, the fresh air cleared her head and she felt like she could walk on clouds.

Her return home was slower than the trip to the tree. She would stop by to look around the forest and even take some pictures, admiring the pretty colors of the leaves that scattered all over the ground. For a Sunday, she had a busy noon ahead of her. Planning a schedule for studying, going to work and college – (Y/N) was exhausted.