Caeruleum//12

Caeruleum: Latin word for blue.
————————————————————————

Thursday went by quickly. With Lauren knowing Oliver was leaving on Friday, she arranged for the four of them to go around town together. (Y/N) was happy that her two friends got along so well with Oliver - hanging out with all of them was pure bliss.

Friday morning was dreadful for the two friends. She watched as he packed his art tools that he didn't use as much during his stay. It made her happy that he didn't though, it hurt to see him overwork himself all the time. Oliver carried his bags to his car, the 6AM fog making him squint. (Y/N) followed behind slowly, thinking that if she speaks, she might cry.

It was normal though. Last time she saw Oliver was over the Holidays last year. Three weeks felt like three days to her. She watched as he stuffed the bags in his car, closing the door carefully. He turned to her and watched as she just stood there, hands in the pockets of her coat.

"Come on grumpy, let's get going." The girl looked at him, confusion forming on her face.

"Go where?"

"To see if your pen-pal left a letter, of course. It's only 6:30, your work starts in an hour, and I'd wait for this fog to lift up a little." He said, motioning with his hand for her to move. Her expression changed from confusion to a grin, and she began walking with Oliver to the forest.

The walk there was mostly quiet. With not much to say, knowing this would be the last time in a while they'd see each other in a while, they walked in sync. Their silence was comfortable, there was no tension, only a slight depressing feeling to it. It felt like those movies.

"Hello,
Your theories about the murderer do sound silly, but who knows these days – you could be right. I've read many books, but most of them were of the informative kind. I haven't read novels as much. I think that I could probably count the number of them on my fingers. However, one that I enjoyed was "A Pair of Blue Eyes" by Thomas Hardy. Maybe you've heard. I take it that you are a fan of horror novels? What are your favorite books?"

"A Pair of Blue Eyes..." (Y/N) trailed off, rubbing her finger gently over the letter.

"The novel? Your pen-pal is a Romance fan?"

"You've read it?" The girl looked at her friend curiously. He only nodded as he looked in the distance.

"It's a good book. I'm not a fan of Romance novels, but Thomas Hardy knows how to make a good book, I'll admit."

She stared at the letter for a while. Romance, that's funny. From the way her pen-pal wrote, she'd think he enjoyed sci-fi novels, or historic ones. Putting the letter in her pocket, (Y/N) decided to borrow the book from the library later today. He wasn't wrong about her enjoying horror novels, but she didn't particularly have a favorite genre.

Being an English Major meant she had to read a bunch of books, so she had read a fair share of many genres. She couldn't pick a favorite one - but when it came to books she'd read the fastest, crime fiction and thrillers were her go-to.

She'd written a shorter letter this time, notifying her pen-pal that she will read the book he wrote down. The walk back home was filled with short conversations this time, mostly commenting about books now.