Eyes//13

WARNING: Contains quotations from the book "A Pair of Blue Eyes" by Thomas Hardy!

Eyes: Globural organs of sight in the head of humans and vertebrate animals.
———————————————————————

The trio sat at the library, searching through their laptops individually. They knew what website to look at, but divided the contents in parts for each person. The library was empty today. It made sense though, it was Friday after all.

"This is fucked." Andrew spoke, pushing the laptop away slightly. The two girls looked at him, almost feeling bad for dragging him into this – even if he wanted to help himself. Lauren rubbed her temples and rose from her seat.

"I'm going to try and find those cult books, maybe someone wrote about the cult in detail."

Weirdly enough, with so many links on the website that was dedicated to the cult itself, they didn't dive into the details as much. It seemed suspicious that they would leave out so many things about it. When would they hold the rituals? What did you have to do to join? There were many questions that had no answer.

(Y/N) decided to take a break from the bright screen and try to find the book her pen-pal mentioned. Roaming around the endless isles of books, she searched for the "Romance" segment. Finding the segment itself wasn't hard, but the books that were neatly put out made (Y/N) press her lips into a thin line. It would take a while.

Lauren skimmed through the countless books filled with history of various cults, never finding anything interesting. She had run into the cult a couple of times, but the books provided little to no information. It was the same as the text on the website mostly. The cult history itself took only half a page of any book that actually wrote about it.

Finding the book finally, (Y/N) made her way back to the table she and her friends occupied. She looked at the cover of the book, a girl with long brown hair and deep blue eyes stared with a somewhat cautious look towards something. The top half of her clothes colored in different shades of red. (Y/N)'s observations were suddenly stopped as she heard Andrew call for his friends.

"Look, I'm not sure If you've already seen it, but here." He spoke, turning the laptop towards the two standing girls. Their eyes followed the text slowly, trying to read every word. Upon realizing what they were reading, the girls looked at each other and then exchanged looks with Andrew.

"Eyes? They gouged out people's eyes?"
Lauren was the one to break the silence.

"Our road to salvation has always involved a beautiful sacrifice as a gift to our God, Chernobog. The chosen ones will be tied to our blessed tables, have their eyes taken out and filled with a mixture of pure blood and hot tar. The blood represents the purity of the people. The tar represents the sins of all living things. The chosen ones are martyrs who our God picked to serve him for all eternity."

(Y/N) never felt more sick than now. The thoughts of the news article from four years ago spun in her head, making her hold on to the chair next to her. Those teenagers, those kids. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that someone so young would do such things. The more she thought about it the crazier it seemed.

Who killed those kids? Was it the person being sacrificed? Who was the person being sacrificed? The article never mentioned it. Could the missing boy be the sacrifice? No, that was impossible. The ritual already began before he ran out to see what was going on, right?

"(Y/N). Earth to (Y/N)! Hey!"

She snapped out of her thoughts and noticed she was sitting on the chair now. Andrew waved his hand in front of her, calling out to her while Lauren stood behind, her expression showing concern.

"Sorry... I got lost in thought." She apologized to her worried friends.

"You've been staring at nothing for the past ten minutes. Come on, I think it's been enough – we're going home." Andrew said, sounding more commanding than propositioning. (Y/N) nodded and started packing her things. Checking out the book she planned to read on the main desk, she walked outside where her friends waited. The air felt heavy.

"I think that you are done with your research. There's nothing more to find. If the police didn't solve the slaughter and found the missing guy from four years ago, neither will the two of you."

He was right. The research was pointless, so to speak. Hell, maybe this murderer isn't even connected to the slaughter from four years ago, (Y/N) thought. It was scary to see Andrew be so serious. He was a person that went through things with humor. It would take a lot for him to actually take a situation seriously.
Looking at her friends, the serious expression on all of their faces, they decided to let it go.

(Y/N) had many things to do, her job, college and writing those letters should be the only things she needs to focus on. She bid her goodbyes to Lauren and Andrew and headed home. Looking at the book in her hands, she relaxed a bit. Maybe reading a good romance novel will make her feel better.

"Dear Stranger,
I'll make sure to check out the book! A friend told me that it's a good one, so when I read it I'll write about it to you. You aren't exactly wrong with your guess. I read a lot so I don't have a favorite genre. But, the books that I read the fastest are usually crime fictions and thrillers. One of my favorites is The Sculptor by Gregory Funaro. I recommend it, it's a really good book! If you decide to read it, please write back about it, I'd like to discuss."

Jack felt annoyed. For some reason, now that he knew she was going to read the book, he felt obligated to read the one she recommended. He thought about what a pain in the ass it's going to be to get his hands on the book. After all, it's not like he could just walk in a random library looking the way he does. He'd have to ask for a favor, again.

It was Saturday, so he couldn't really ask for the book now. He'd have to wait for Monday. Looking at the girl through her living room window last night, he noticed she'd been reading. Looks like she already got his book and began reading it. The eyeless boy frowned remembering that Oliver wasn't with her last night. He decided to make his way back to the apartment and spend some time watching. He needed to find out if the boy was coming back.

The book was strangely interesting. When (Y/N) came home last night she began reading it, trying to forget about the whole library fiasco. Now, it was a nice Saturday evening and she sat comfortably in her living room, the TV playing as background noise while she was reading. There wasn't much to do for the weekend, being alone in her apartment she made no efforts to entertain herself. Returning back to her old habits of reading, studying and watching the TV sometimes.

"These eyes were blue; blue as autumn distance – blue as the blue we see between the retreating mouldings of hills and woody slopes on a sunny September morning. A misty and shady blue, that had no beginning or surface, and was looked INTO rather than AT."

Her mind flashed to the missing boy while reading the description of the eyes. It was funny, she never knew the boy, she wasn't even sure if his eyes were actually blue, the newspaper article was old. She'd done this before when listening to those true crime stories. Missing people who were never found, dead or alive, stuck in her head for a while. She had no real reason for why, it would just happen.

Reading the description again, she'd tell herself how the boy's eyes fit every word perfectly. She was immersed into the book - Not noticing the same boy, now eyeless, who thought of her only as prey and entertainment, observing from a distance.