Renaissance//11

Renaissance: French word meaning "rebirth". It refers to a period in European civilization that was marked by a revival of Classical learning and wisdom.
———————————————————————

Staring at the letter the girl left on a Saturday afternoon, Jack thought about the mess he got himself in. He wondered how long would the girl stay alive. His initial plan was to just give her a good scare, but he didn't know how she'd react.

If she's a normal person, which Jack assumed she wasn't, considering she left letters in a tree hole for a stranger to answer – she'd call the police right away.
He could always threaten her if she were to try and do anything, but if things got out of control he'd have to end her life.

Her response irritated him, so much so that he had to take his mask off and pinch his nose bridge. She was so adamant on giving up. Had she even thought about who was responding to her?

Of course, she was young, she seemed close to his own age, but he couldn't be sure. Young people are prone to making stupid decisions, he'd know that much. Jack even thought about just stopping with responses, taking her letter and never coming back. He couldn't though. The eyeless boy would feel strange if he were to never hear from her again.

They've only exchanged a couple of letters in three, almost four weeks. To Jack, this was entertainment he hadn't felt in a long time.

Four years of his existence were only bathed with murder and occasional tasks he'd been given by people like him. They weren't entertaining by any means. Only meeting for information and sometimes sparring sessions, his peers held no meaning to him whatsoever. Truthfully he'd been grateful for helping some of them over time, knowing that he'd always get something in return.

Hadn't he helped that little elf years ago, he wouldn't have a phone and a couple of other electronics residing in his cottage. He frowned at the thought of the abandoned place, wondering just how long he'd have to stay away from it.

"Dear Stranger,
You do have a point. The lack of evidence is unnerving isn't it? It almost seems like the murderer isn't even human. Like a ghost or a ghoul of some kind, you know? Silly, I know, but all of it just looks unreal. I wonder if someone's ever going to write a book about this. Maybe I do in a couple of years, if my writing abilities reach that high. Imagine writing a horror novel and one day ending up standing with bigger names. Like Neil Gaiman, Anne Rice and many others... That would be pretty cool! I'd have to do more research though and wait and see if the murderer ever gets caught. But, enough about that, do you read books? What's your favorite genre if you do?"

Books, huh? Jack thought, looking up at the sky.
Her knowledge on writers must mean that she probably has some connections to the writing world. Maybe she's an upcoming writer. The boy chuckled at the thought, before writing a response to her. Taking a leave he smiled, pulling the mask over his face. He'll give her something to write about, that's for sure.

Oliver and (Y/N) tried their best to complete as many plans they've had before Oliver goes back home. Since Saturday, the two enjoyed various attractions around the city. Now being Wednesday, they only had a full one day before they had to part ways.

"You're cheating!" the girl said, raising the tone a little.

"Liar! You're being a baby just because I keep winning."

"There are literally five cards peeking underneath your ass, Oliver! You can't hide them for shit."

The boy looked to his side, noticing that there were indeed cards peeking. Pulling them out, he put all of them on the table and got up.

"I'm not playing anymore."

"What? You're giving up because I busted your weak plan? Pissbaby." (Y/N) mocked as she put her own cards on the table. They have been playing card games throughout the whole afternoon, Oliver cheating to make his friend angry on purpose.

"This was supposed to be a beautiful bonding moment, but you ruined it." Oliver joked, crossing his arms.

"Beautiful bonding moment? With you cheating? The only beautiful thing about this was the expression you made when you saw those damn cards sticking out."
(Y/N) started packing the cards back into their box, glancing at the boy who was now taking some ingredients from the fridge. Realizing that it was almost dinner time, she started cleaning up the cups Oliver and her used, together with other things occupying the table.

The clinking of dishes and irritating sounds of various bags would only stop an hour later, when Oliver finished with the cooking.

"What will I do when my master chef goes back home?" (Y/N) complained as she watched him stuff his face with spaghetti. He put his finger in the air, to signal for her to wait while he swallowed the food.

He looked like a squirrel when eating.

"You will probably go back to making instant ramen and cheap sandwiches."

"Gee, thanks. I mean you're right but... gee thanks."

"Hey, not everyone can be a great cook like me. But, you could always call me and I'd help you cook something."
She smiled and raised her eyebrows at him, "What if something starts burning huh? What then?" her question only made the boy laugh.

"Well, then it's going to be a very uncomfortable phone call."

After the dinner, they made some snacks and decided to enjoy a peaceful night conversing and watching the TV. This went on hours into the night, they knew that sleep was not an option, at least for tonight. They made every minute together count.

It was somewhere around two in the morning when (Y/N) would receive a message from Lauren.

"Hey, are you up to return to the research tomorrow?" it read.

The girl thought about it for a while. Remembering the bodies strapped to the concrete tables, she couldn't help but gulp. The pictures were terrifying, she was aware of that much already. There was still a lot of things to look through however. Lauren and her haven't even explored the half of that site. Before she could respond, she got another text.

"Andrew will be joining us btw."

(Y/N) smiled. Andrew came back on Monday and was left in the dark about the research. It was funny to see him actually be invested in something. Then again, maybe he just wanted to come to ease the tension of it all. He noticed that both girls were tense throughout the week when he'd mention going to the library or anything related to the murders.

"How does Friday after classes sound? Oliver leaves in the morning, so I want to spend the Thursday with him. Is that okay?" she responded.

The response came through quickly, as the two girls made an agreement. Putting her phone away, (Y/N) continued to watch the TV with her already half asleep friend.

I guess it's time to revive that investigation finally, she thought before dozing off as well. Both of them unaware of the figure staring at the window of her living room from the shadowy forest.
———————————————————————
Hi, hi! :)
Here's another chapter for you all! I'm writing this note here to tell you that in the upcoming chapters there will be some books mentioned - I will ofc put a spoiler warning and what books will I be referencing. That's about it - Hope you all have a wonderful day, and remember to drink water and get enough sleep! Take care of yourselves <3