Lassitude//18

Lassitude: A state of physical or mental weariness; lack of energy.
——————————————————————

The streets of the city had a golden tint to them, making the scenery in front seem like a fantasy. If there wasn't a murderer on the loose, who followed (Y/N) as well apparently, she would've taken her sweet time walking around the town.

Her get-together with Andrew and Lauren calmed her raging nerves a little, so it wasn't as hard to think anymore. She wasn't going to give up so easily – hell, she had a gun, that was a threat enough even if she wasn't skilled with it. Bluffing has been her strong suit, all those excuses for late or missing assignments proved to be handy.

Glancing at her phone, the clock showed 5:04PM which made her furrow her brows. She wanted to visit the tree and take the letter her stranger left while she had the determination. If the letter doesn't get taken today, it sure won't be any time soon.

The girl thought about the risk, but soon realized that she could get home by 6pm latest, and that wasn't as bad as it could be. Besides, the streets weren't empty at five anyway, you could see a couple of people roaming around, usually returning from work. With that being decided, (Y/N) exhaled and made her way to the forest path.

(Y/N) was tired both mentally and physically – so much so that this whole situation became a laughing matter. She desperately wanted to cry, to turn back time before she wrote that letter. Her mind couldn't comprehend the way she was so calm. A regular person would've raised hell, leave the country, involve the police – anything.

She didn't know why couldn't she do it. Maybe because she felt stupid. How could she explain to anyone that she was stupid enough to leave a letter for a stranger while there was a murderer running around? Sure, the chances of the murderer finding the letter are one in a million, but she wasn't the one with good luck on her side.

(Y/N)'s patience was getting weaker the more she thought about it. Will she be sacrificed? Will the murderer just gut her and take her kidneys? At this point she didn't know how her stomach was handling all this information. The mask her stalker wore only made all of this harder. It took her a while to realize that telling him about the research Lauren and her were doing was a wrong move – for that could've been the reason she was targeted in the first place.

During Oliver's stay the girl went through the puzzle pieces by herself, hiding any and every emotion that might make Oliver suspect her. She kept all of it to herself, pretending to be unaware of anything. Nobody knew what she knew, and it was draining.

The letter she pulled out made her hands shake. The anticipation of what could be written in there stuck around like glue that she couldn't shake off. Opening it rather slowly, (Y/N) squeezed her eyes shut for a while, preparing for what awaited her.

"Hello,
I've read the book you recommended. I liked it quite a lot. So much so that I have found the prequel of it. Have you read the prequel? If not, the name of it is "The Impaler" – I'm sure you would like it. I quite liked the character of Cathy Hildebrant. She's a very realistically written woman. Quite smart as well. Of course, when the murderer loves art, an art historian is a perfect match to help with the investigation. Tell me, who was your favorite character from the book?"

Quiet chuckles could be heard coming from the (H/C) haired girl. It took all of the remaining strength she had to stay on her feet. Crumpling the letter, she shoved it into her pocket and swayed her way towards the bench. Her legs were numb at this point, her arms feeling like the static on TV. She didn't care if her stranger lurked around, seeing her like that. She just wanted to let it all out.

As she wrote the response, she no longer felt nervousness or fear – (Y/N) was filled with frustration and anger. The thought of an individual who she knew almost nothing about having power over her was infuriating. Her head was doing backflips from all the thinking and scheming.

When she put the letter in the hole, she paused, looking at it. Comparing her now with the girl who put the first letter in with an innocent idea of being pen-pals – it made her sick. To say that it's only been around five weeks since everything started sounded scary. Just how fast the time can change in a month only.

People don't appreciate time. Complaining about hours spent in rooms, bored and unmoving – they'd know best. Time should be used wisely, every minute should be appreciated. Someone, somewhere will look at the world for the last time, saying goodbye to everyone left behind. Someone will only open their eyes for the first time, crying at the sudden intake of the air. Some will live in the moment, only to have another take it all away.

(Y/N) wanted nothing more but to be hugged, but there was no one in her apartment. Sitting on her couch, the girl cupped her face in her hands and sat there in silence for hours. Completely ignoring the time, she made her way to her bed and laid there, not bothering to change or do anything else. If luck is on her side, she'd get at least five hours of sleep – but that could hardly be the case.
——————————————————————
Hi! I'm stopping by to say that I will be uploading another chapter later today again.
I was supposed to have this one up on a Wednesday but since I was busy I missed it. I hope you all enjoy and remember to take care of yourselves!