Pristine//10

Pristine: Having its original purity, uncorrupted or unsullied.
———————————————————————

Lauren and (Y/N) chose to ignore their research for a while, taking some time to return to their previous state. The things they saw were anything but normal so it was only understandable to take a break.

It was a calm Saturday, the sky wasn't as gray as it usually was. Oliver and (Y/N) sat in a café in the middle of the city, enjoying a peaceful day.
"I'll have to return home next Friday."

(Y/N) felt sad hearing it. She knew Oliver couldn't stay forever, he had a life of his own after all. Drinking the beverage she ordered, the girl could only nod and smile weakly at her companion.

"Come on, don't be sad. I can always visit again later. And you know your parents are waiting for my return so that I can tell them how embarrassing you are." The boy said, cracking a joke at the end.

"It was nice having you around, I'm forever grateful that you actually came here so fast." She said, offering a grin. Oliver laughed and slumped into his seat. Even if he was leaving in six days, neither him or her were the types of people that would cherish the remaining days. They were the type to mourn as if someone died.

"Don't thank me for such things. You of all people shouldn't ever thank me. That's what friends are for, no? Although I see you as an annoying little sister, but that's another story."

"I'll have you know that I am a very nice and reliable person. In no way am I annoying. If anything, you're the annoying big brother who just knows how to cook."

They were like siblings. Growing up together, instead of the loving sibling relationship you would see on TV, the two were mostly at each other's throats. Blaming each other for their own mistakes, fighting over small things were a normal occurrence in their lives.

But had there been someone else insulting one, the other would go through hell to defend them. Both of their parents used to joke and say how they were actual siblings in their past lives.

"You keep telling yourself that."

Their teasing and playful insulting would only end when both of them finished their drinks and got ready to leave home. Walking through the busy streets, they looked around various shops and would occasionally stop to make fun of a piece of clothing that was displayed.

As they neared the street (Y/N) resided in, the girl stopped. Turning around, Oliver noticed her staring at the direction of the forest, a small frown, barely visible on her face.

"Let's go and see if my pen-pal responded." She said, pulling him by the sleeve. He let out an exaggerated groan but followed nevertheless.

The forest seemed so much prettier today, even if the trees had no leaves. They could see a couple of people around, some sitting on the benches, others walking or playing with their children.

Hearing the laughter of the kids made her smile. Looking over at three toddlers running around and diving in leaf piles reminded her of her own childhood. It reminded her of countless days of innocence, before she had to grow up and start caring about her existence.

How pristine.

Oliver seemed to notice the look on her face and smiled himself. He always knew what the girl was thinking about, she wasn't that good at hiding her true expressions. Patting her on the back to snap her back to reality, he spoke.