Radio Stations//04

Radio Station: A station for the production and transmission of AM or FM radio broadcasts.
———————————————————

Mondays weren't as bad as everyone made them seem. Those were the days in which the little café would be the busiest, and while more work tires you out faster, the tips are much better than other days. (Y/N) and Tanya sat at the table close to the cash register, talking and throwing glances at the customers sitting inside.

Tanya looked at (Y/N) curiously, she seemed much more content than she was on Friday.

"Something happened over the weekend? If you've had an epiphany you could at least give me the recipe, I'm rotting here." She spoke while nudging the other girl.

"Not really, I took a walk in the forest and saw how people continued their lives as usual and realized that I shouldn't care about things as much."

The blonde stared at her as if she had fallen from another planet – "What? Don't look at me like that. I'm being serious."

"You went to a forest, saw people living and decided to never be grumpy again? I'm sorry but that sounds like you're going to abandon everything and run off to the mountains."

(Y/N) laughed and playfully pushed her coworker to the side. Tanya continued to stare at her before laughing herself and standing up to serve the customers that just arrived. The two of them wouldn't talk much during their work hours, they enjoyed the comfortable silence in the morning or just listening to the chatter of others mix with the radio they played.

Looking at the watch on the wall, (Y/N) noticed that it's almost time for the news. She walked over to the radio and turned it up a bit to hear if there were any new updates on the murder.
As the music stopped and the news began, people seemed to quiet down, listening to the woman speaking.

"The murder of the Thompson family that happened just about a week ago that terrified many in the city has yet to be resolved. The police say that they've been working hard on finding the murderer but due to the lack of evidence, there isn't much they can do. Only evidence the police currently has is the "tar-like substance" that was found on the bodies and around the floor in Thompsons bedroom. The DNA results came back and apparently the person can't be identified, which only lefts them to do more tests. Police advises the citizens to get home before dark, be sure their houses are locked and stay safe. Now, onto the next news-"

(Y/N) toned down the radio and returned to her spot where Tanya was already sitting.

"How can someone make such a mess and not leave a trace of them behind? No human can commit such a crime and get away with it perfectly, it just doesn't make sense." Tanya spoke while gazing at the streets through the window.

"It's weird, you can't even say that it was a wild animal considering that those cuts were clean, and claws don't leave such traces."

"Right. Well, I hope they catch the asshole, I'm tired of locking myself in my house at five in the goddamn afternoon."

"Yeah.." (Y/N) thought about the murder more, it all seemed so unrealistic. It obviously wasn't an animal, but as Tanya said, It's almost impossible to go through with such a perfect murder. Maybe Lauren knew something, considering that she has been researching for fun. She'd have to ask her later today.

Jack sat on a chair, listening to the woman speaking. He knew they wouldn't catch him as long as he lays low for some time, and even if he killed again the chances of them trailing him were below zero. He stared at the ceiling of a rundown shed he'd been staying in ever since the incident, tossing his scalpel from one hand to another.

He had abandoned his little cottage that stood on the other side of the forest, a little closer to the civilization and took almost nothing from it. He was going to return to it at one point anyway. The days were boring, he had nothing else to do besides go to that tree to see if that human responded. Besides that he would train for fun and explore the forest, careful not to run into someone.

His hunger was only getting worse, he didn't know if he'd last another week before completely losing it, and it was eating him alive. Ironic, he thought, if that's how it feels to be eaten alive, he knows how his victims feel – he did not care however.

He turned off the radio and made his way out of the shed, some fresh air will do if nothing else.

College was beyond boring lately, (Y/N) thought. Maybe that had to do something about her not paying attention due to recent events and her new pen-pal. She was currently sitting with Lauren and Andrew, having their classes end they went to a pastry shop near their college building to relax a bit.

"Lauren, how's the research going?" (Y/N) asked, peaking the curiosity of Andrew as well.

"You know how I said that I thought how it could be connected to a cult?" the two only nodded.

"Well, given the circumstances and the only evidence being the tar substance they talked about, it's near impossible that the murder happened just because. If it were a robbery I don't think it would be that gruesome, and besides no items were taken..."

"Also no sign of a break in, right?" Andrew added.

"Yeah, that too. I mean stolen kidneys? It only makes me believe that this someone was either a cannibal, some guy selling organs on the black market or some kind of a cult member. So I went in depth with those three possibilities." Lauren ended with a sigh.

"Go on..." Andrew pestered. "There's a lot of content to go through, I'm too lazy to explain everything. I could send you the links to the sites and articles I've looked at though."

"I might be interested but I am not that interested, so I'll pass."

"Send them to me. I'd like to read about it." (Y/N) said, surprising both of her friends with her quick response.

"Alright. Your e-mail's still the
same?" (Y/N) nodded.

The three of them continued talking about mundane things and new materials they were getting. Losing track of time, they've left the pastry shop pretty late, making them regret letting themselves trail off in conversations. When it was time for them to part they looked uneasy, but no one said anything about it.

"Text me when you get home. Both of you." Andrew spoke while hugging the girls. Parting their ways, (Y/N) stood in the city alone, the feeling of dread passing by from time to time. She took slow, quiet steps, hoping that she would get home safe. Fate however, had different plans for her.