Petrichor//06

Petrichor: The earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil.
———————————————————

People outside ran for cover as the rain grew stronger. Some already had an umbrella, others covered their heads with bags and a small bunch just let the rain soak them. The rain creeped around since Tuesday, soaking the ground between intervals. This Friday was no different than the other days before. Busy streets, the depressing state of tired citizens – melancholy surrounded the small city.

"The body of a twenty-nine year old Matthew Brown was found in the late hours on a Monday. Matthew was found with a clean cut running from his nape to his loin, his kidneys nowhere to be found. The police had said that besides Matthew no other bodies were found, besides a girl who was only slightly injured. The girl wished to stay anonymous, only providing little information about the murderer."

Two figures sat on a couch, the TV light illuminating their silhouettes on the wall behind them.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" one asked, and the other provided a silent hum.

"Alright, I'm going to get dressed and we can leave."

The forest was anything but quiet. The chirps of birds hiding in trees and hisses of insects residing on leaves was oddly peaceful when clashing with the soft rain. Jack stood outside, letting the rain hit him while he stared at the tree in front of him. He had found the letter when he was running away from the havoc he created on a Monday night. The sirens were his only company as he wrote the response to the human.

Police wasn't going to run to the forest right away, they had a mess and a body to deal with first, so he didn't mind staying for a while.

Jack checked for the letter in the hole, seeing his own still untouched. He had been coming to the tree every night to see if he had received a response, but nothing was there.

Granted, it's only been four days since he left the letter, but he couldn't help and come back to check on it every day. After all, it's the only thing that was keeping him company.

The boy wondered if the human was ever going to respond. After the murder, it was unlikely that he was going to get any type of a response. It was his fault for killing a man so close to the tree, the human must be terrified.

As he was getting ready to leave, he heard faint voices coming his way and quickly ran to climb the nearest tree. Minute passed and he could see two figures coming down the main forest path.

A lanky brown haired boy, a little shorter than him walked next to a (H/C) haired girl, who seemed more tired than a regular person should be.

The nearer they got, Jack could feel the uneasiness creep in his chest. He didn't know why, until they came close to the tree where the letter resided and it hit him. The smell of the girl was familiar to him, but he couldn't put his finger on why. He continued to observe them from the nearby tree in silence.

"So this is the secret place where you and your pen-pal leave letters, huh?" the boy spoke with a weak smile on his face, watching as the girl took the letter out of the hole.

The girl only meekly chuckled, as she read the letter. Jack now knew who his human was.

"They write like someone is forcing them to do it. It's funny."

He didn't want to admit it, but he was offended. He thought he did a decent job at writing to a human. Watching them walk to the bench, he debated on whether he should leave while they aren't paying attention, or stay. As he saw the girl taking out a notepad and a pen, he decided he would stay to read her response.