Memories//28

Memories: The faculty by which the mind stores and remembers information.
——————————————————————

The air was rather heavy, and the rain outside didn't make it any better. (Y/N) and Jack sat on the couch, both busy with their own thoughts and tasks. Jack was focused on the book given to him, while (Y/N) stared at the music videos playing on the TV while sipping her morning beverage.

She didn't feel nervous about what's to come, but she still was careful and tried her best to form sentences in her head that won't sound stupid. Her head was divided in two separate thoughts.

On one side, if Jack was the sacrifice and the murderer from that incident, she could finally drop the subject but would automatically sulk knowing that he really did go through all of that.

On the other side, if Jack wasn't the murderer and the sacrifice, he could possibly kill her for invading his privacy and would also look very stupid. Best case scenario on that other side would be that he doesn't kill her at all.

Turning to her masked roommate, she inhaled before calling out his name.

"Jack."

The boy only hummed as a response, not taking his masked face from the book he was reading. She couldn't blame him, "Da Vinci's Code" was fairly interesting.

"Can I ask you something..." she trailed off. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to assume, maybe it would strain the peace we had for three days.

"What is it?" Oh whatever-

"I've well... I did some thinking and digging, and maybe, perhaps, I have connected some dots."

"And?"

"And I would like to ask you about it. You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

"Spit it out already."

"Were you tied to the cult by being their sacrifice that actually succeeded?"

The silence after was agonizing. (Y/N) didn't want to cave in and show that she was on the edge. You couldn't blame her, her and Jack weren't best friends or anything of the sort. To her, as bearable as he was, he was also a murderer.

She'd have moments in which she would remind herself who he was after comfortably conversing with the boy. It would always be an experience, a weird fear inducing feeling that lasted shorter than she'd like it to.

It has come to the point in which she didn't really care about what her life was currently, as long as it left her alive. However, this silence made it hard to be hopeful.

Ah, so she realized it. That was quicker than expected.

"What if I was?" Jack asked, lowering his head to her eye level. She gulped, putting her hands up in defense. Her face however, remained blank. The sound of her heartbeat began ringing in his ears, but it wasn't as loud as before.

"If you were, then nothing. I just wanted to know. That was actually why I gasped so loud yesterday, I just didn't want to assume so quickly, so I lied to you."

Jack chuckled slightly, hearing her admit to her little fallout. The liquid coming from his eyeholes began flowing harder, making the girl in front of him show concern.

She inhaled and continued with her little rant.

"Like I said, I won't force you to answer- I mean not like I can force you either way, and I know it's none of my business and I shouldn't meddle with things like these but-"