Guilty Conscience || 17

Finding yourself standing in the field of flowers again, you perk up, remembering instantly where you were.

Spinning around, you take notice of the same boy underneath the bright oak tree, looking right back at you.

"Hi!" You call out as you fling an arm up into the air, and in response he slowly brings up his hand to wave back. Looking down to your feet, you decide you wanted to try and make it over to the oak tree - confidently beginning to head toward him. The ground felt solid...ish, but the closer you got to him, the quicker your feet began to sink.

"Ah shoot-..." You mumble, before impulsively deciding to try and make a break for it.

"Watch out!" You yell, starting to run full tilt towards the tree, hoping you would make it to the grassy little island that it was planted on.

Feeling the ground getting muddier and the flowers getting squashed beneath your feet with each step, you keep going - almost tripping a few times along the way.

Just as you got close enough to it to make it in a single jump, your foot sinks just enough into the earth - making you trip before you fly face forward and smack right onto the grass, popping your shoe right off before you tumble forward, rolling to a stop.

But hey, you made it.

Looking up, you see his teary eyes looking back at you - his expression more suprised than anything.

He asked something, his voice masked with that same static as before that made any words unintelligible. Assuming he asked if you were okay, you give him a thumbs up - attempting to smile through the heavy emotional aura that seemed to radiate out from him.

It was nice to see his lips curve into an almost undetectable one in return.

Brushing yourself off, you get up and jump on the ground to find it was nice and solid - no sinking occurring.

Looking over to your ghost friend, he watches your feet before he glances over toward where your boot got swallowed up. Drifting over to it before lowering down, the flowers part for him when he reaches out. Retrieving it for you a second later, he stands and brushes off a bit of the mud, giving a weak smile and wiping his eyes. Bringing it back over and placing it down on the ground in front of you, he drifts backwards again - becoming aware of how his presence effected you.

"O-Oh, thanks." You smile, trying to fight the feeling of sadness from him being near to you as you shove your foot back in, haphazardly tying the laces as uncontrolled tears started to find their way down your cheeks.

Standing, you plant your hands on your waist as you stare out to the field.

"Whew...Well, I'm glad I was able to make it over here." You say, to which ghost boy nods.

Returning your eyes to the ocean of yellow flowers, you sigh.

"I hope you aren't too lonely in this place. Wherever this place is."

In response, the ghost boy looks at the ground, shrugging sheepishly as you heard his static voice say a few quiet words.

"...I wish I could understand what you're saying. There's so much I want to ask you..."

He nods - his expression falling into worry.

Looking behind your shoulder at the small island of grass, you follow the golden leaves of the oak tree down to its base - spotting a little toy robot rested carefully between the roots.

Slowly heading over to it, he follows, silently drifting behind and making the air hold a small chill.

"But...Um...I was actually hoping I would see you again anyway." You say, your voice uncontrollably shaking - however you try to control it.