The plan || 29

~♡~Your POV~♡~

It had been a few days since Liam got you in to the mentoring program, in turn for you telling him about how you got here. And boy, was he mad after he heard what happened to you.

You had told him everything, changing a few names as a respect to L's career (except B, because fuck him) and identity, of course. After that...You were given a new sweater. With a purple crest instead of blue.

That's it.

Well, save for the fact that the number of chores you were doing had easily tripled, and you and your mentor had seldom a word between you.

You think of this as you were crouched down in the dirt outside the main entrance to the institution, Liam digging spots as you were planting bushes of Holly and other winter florals, absolutely hating it.

Standing back up and taking a moment to rest and wipe your brow, you look out to the outer barbed fence - just barely in view from the haze of cold fog.

If it were a bit more hazy, it would almost look like nothing was between you and the outside.

What you wouldn't give for that to be a reality.

Instead, you were stuck working in the bitter cold. The early winter air felt like it was biting, your hands were numb, the security anklet they forced you to wear outside the main proprety was uncomfortably rubbing your ankle, and your arms were starting to get sore and shaky from the constant work.

Above all else, you were starting to get right irritated. Mostly because Liam hadn't really said much at all to you since you got approved.

It goes without saying that there was no talk of any plan to get out of here.

This whole mentoring thing seemed to suck. The longer this went on, the more convinced you were that he was just using you for an extra hand.

"Is it really just going to be back breaking chores?" You whisper, feeling annoyed that he had barely spoken to you at all.

Liam glances up - almost seeming surprised by your sudden question.

"Well...I mean...Yeah, pretty much." He whispers back, shrugging as he drives his shovel into the frozen dirt, kicking it in a few times to break into the layer of frost.

"Wh-this sucks." You reply, your voice hushed. "I thought...It would somehow be...I don't know....Less...Terrible."

"Hard work pays off." He answers in an equally silent voice, before leaning up on his shovel and turning his head toward the guard that was stationed near the two of you.

"Watch this." He whispers, before clearing his throat. "'S'cuse me, officer Taylor?" He asks, to which the guard turns, giving a short, formal smile of acknowledgment.

"Yes?"

"You wouldn't mind getting something to drink for us, would you? We're working pretty hard over here. It would really boost the ol' morale."

The guard hesitates a moment, glancing to you. In response, Liam smiles and brings a shockingly strong arm around your shoulder, pretty much headlocking you with his tall frame.

"You can trust me to keep this one in line for a minuet or two. You know me." He smiles, patting your head with his free hand - a cloud of dirt landing in your hair from his gardening glove.

After a short silence, you soon after hear a sigh.

"Very well. Keep going with those. No chatting while I'm gone."