Animosity || 27

~♡~L's POV~♡~

It took some convincing, but I did it. I managed to convince Watari to let me out of the hospital early, thank God.

At least if I'm good at one thing, it's making cases for myself.

Despite how much talking I had done at the hospital to let me go early, the drive back home was silent. Not that Watari was ever the talkative type, (and neither was I), but this particular silence held a sort of...Tension. The kind of tension where you want to speak but can't articulate any words. The kind where I wasnt sure how to break the silence, but knew I wanted to express something about what I was feeling. About what I was thinking.

"...So where did you send her?" I ask, finally addressing the elephant in the room...Or I suppose the elephant in the car.

Watari didn't answer right away, keeping his eyes on the road.

"...You can be assured that she's safe and taken care of. We gave her the very best we could in light of the circumstances."

"What circumstances?" I ask, my annoyance growing again.

"L, we have been through this. It's better for both of you if you stay separated for a number of reasons, and the confidentiality of your career - not to mention your safety - is one of them. Please understand that we only want what's best for you."

"(y/n) isn't dangerous. Putting me under the same roof with B is what's dangerous. Can't anyone see that I haven't been happy for a single second since she's been taken away from me? How would I ever feel this way if she actually did do this?" I ask, the floodgates of my bottled up thoughts opening all at once.

"...She confessed, L." Watari replies simply.

"Yes, to B, because he made her! How many times do I have to repeat myself?! What reason would I possibly have to lie? Watari, have I ever lied to you?"

Pausing for a moment, I listen to the rain on the roof pattering down as the tires splashed through a puddle on the road.

"What reason would B have to cause you harm? He has been checking in every day with emails directly to me, and arrived on the scene shortly after the police did."

"Then he must have been pretty conveniently close, enough to find us. Did he ever say he found us before the police were sent?" I ask.

"Well, no, but he knew where you were likely to be heading to. I understand you called both him and A on the emergency line, and I sent the police to your coordinates...Because...Well, A's phone was...In my desk, you see, but very low on battery. It ran out before I could answer your call..."

Wataris voice trails off, but he soon clears his throat again. "B arrived shortly after I sent them. He confirmed to me that he was there and had spoken to the cheif on the scene. It's all detailed in his report, signed and dated by The Scotland Yard. You are more than welcome to read it if it quells your suspicions around what happened that night."

I pause for a moment. "...I never called B. You can check my phone. I didn't ever call him, only A. Why would he lie? And how would he know to get there so fast if I never called him?"

Watari went silent. We both did. It was a simple lie, sure. But that simple lie raised more questions than it answered.

That simple lie, was a concerning one.