Epilogue.

Things at The Wammy's House were never the same after the last night L and (y/n) saw each other.

With the aftermath of A's death and B gone the very next morning of (y/n)'s daring little visit, it goes without saying that nothing ever really was.

The rumors at Wammy's House were one thing. Especially after the news broke the next morning of how exactly (y/n) got out.

Of course she became somewhat of a legend among the children - as Miheal and Matt quickly told everyone that they actually saw her, and it was on the news that next morning...But thankfully Wammys house stepped in with that phone call to the institution, and L quickly made a deal with them, the press, and the police to get it swiftly covered up and not published to the tabloids. If anyone were to do research, his identity was in danger, after all....

But of course despite the fact that both Watari and Rodger were furious and now absolutely didnt want (y/n) anywhere near L, continued to persue justice for her vastly in secret....More than a little annoyed that she...Or whoever was behind that escape just made things a lot harder.

And so, keeping his promise, L launched his own investigation with the police completely under the table - driving B to leave England all together, dragging L on a cat and mouse game that further kept him from finding (y/n).

long, tireless months where L would do nothing but tirelessly persue justice for her, his broken heart the only motivator left.

Months that drew into three long years...finally ending with B horrifically burned in an attempted suicide - three more counts of murder to his name, in persuit of the unsolvable case he wanted to create - purely out of that same hateful spite that killed A.

A case that came to be known as the Los Angeles B.B. Murder Cases - noted by the public as one of the smallest cases 'The Legendary L" had taken on, his motivation behind pursuing it a complete mystery to his growing (and mostly online) cult following.

However, B never confessed to A's murder...And the lack of evidence caused his death to remained ruled as suicide, otherwise unsolved.

But at least Watari learned to never distrust L's suspicion again.

As for B, he was given a life sentence as L watched - alone, dissapointed, and silently dreading that he may be dooming three more innocent boys to a similar fate. as A and B if he so much as dared to open his heart again. Only after everything was said and done did the grief of all the loss finally hit him.

A.

(y/n).

Three innocent lives.

B.

As a result, he hesitated on his promise of finding (y/n) again - eventually allowing himself to arrive at the conlusion that she would only be in danger of being hurt again if he were to re-enter her life. After all, it had been years. It may not be something he could reconcile at this point.

How would he find her?

How would he make things up to her?

...Maybe it was for the best if he didnt. If he wasn't careful she might end up in a prison this time around.

So, (y/n) kept waiting from afar as L - instead of keeping his promise - fell deeper into his work and his reclusive tendencies, distancing himself further from anyone as he didnt dare to aknowledge his unreconciled grief - burying it instead in both piles of sweets and a wake of solved cases that ever grew his world renowned status.

As for Wammy's house, the place once home to such promise and so full of life, now stood by itself against the rolling hills of Winchester - holding a deep emptiness within. It's warmth slowly drained and replaced by an unfeeling and foreboding cold.

And while L was there, safe, secure, and physically well,

L. Lawliet never did return home. And (y/n) was left waiting for him, watching from afar and trying to follow him through online rumors about the legendary and anonymous detective known as L.

Maybe some happy endings just aren't meant to be.

...

?