The Arrest || 23

~♡~L's POV~♡~

Walking back down the dirt road, I hold the phone out and watch the small pixelated display - getting a little annoyed at the lack of service.

Sighing and not wanting to stray too far, I look back to the driveway - hoping that (y/n) didn't feel too uncomfortable waiting. Continuing on toward the viewpoint, I keep watching the display - perking up when I see one bar.

"Finally." I whisper, tapping into the contacts and hovering over A in the speed dial menu.

I have to admit, I hesitated with nervousness. I wonder what his reaction is going to be like...Here's hoping he won't go straight to Watari.

Taking a deep breath, I dial the number, feeling those uncomfortable anxiety-butterflies fluttering in the pit of my stomach as the line rung with that monotonous tone.

"The client you are trying to reach is unavailable at this moment. Please try again later."

Pausing, I admittedly felt a tiny bit of relief at the lack of having to talk to A straight away, but at the same time a small pang of frustration. The emergency line something we're never supposed to just miss a call on.

Frowning, I take another deep breath as I dial again - trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. It wouldn't be unlike A to miss at least one call...But God, he has to pay attention to things like this more.

Hearing the monotonous tone of the phone ringing, I try and tune out those bells coming from the town. They're awfully loud, and I hope that won't be an every day thing here...

Watching the sun setting as I waited for my call to be answered, I hear it pause - half expecting that it was finally picked up.

"A! There you a-"

"The client you are trying to reach is unavailable at this moment. Please try again later."

I frown again with more confusion, wondering what A could possibly be doing. Maybe he was helping with dinner or something...? There had to be good reason...

Tapping into the menu again, I hover over Watari for a few moments...But I quickly decide against it - dialing A again as I begin to feel a little worried. One missed call, sure...But this was starting to feel unusual. Where was he?

Not with B, according to (y/n)...And if he was, one of them surely would have picked up by now. So he has to be back at home, right? There's nowhere else he could...

...Suddenly, (y/n)'s drawing of her....Ghost friend, and the odd dreams she's been having came to my mind.

"The client you are trying to reach is unavailable at this moment. Please try again later."

I pause for even longer this time, getting genuinely concerned and feeling that heavy pit of worry sinking in my chest.

No. (y/n)'s never met A. That has to be a coincidence.

I feel the chill of the air as I debate trying one more time. I'll leave a message, maybe...And when he calls me back I'll have to have a few words about missing four calls on the emergency line.