Final Stop || 22

~♡~Your POV~♡~

Walking with L hand in hand down a quaint cobblestone road, you take in the absolutely picturesque town, shifting your heavy duffle bag on your shoulder and admiring the fall-toned ivy creeping along the charming Old English architecture.

This place was everything you could have dreamed. Granted, it was a little bit out in the country...But it was just developed enough to feel comfortably at home. In other words, it was the perfect place to live out a cottagecore fantasy with your runaway sweetheart.

After exploring town for a little while down charming side streets and getting a bit more acquainted with the immediate area, you finally found the final souvenir map of your trip, before the two of you sit down near the town square fountain together. (after getting a cup of tea at the most charming coffee shop you've ever been in, of course.)

Quietly sitting together on a Park bench as L tries to navigate where exactly you were on the rather large map, you take a deep breath in the crisp air. It carried that nostalgic sort of smell that was hard to put a finger on. The kind that reminded you of eating leftover Halloween candy, riding bikes, and stomping in puddles in the last days before the long cold winter. Sighing as you wrap your hands around the warm paper cup, you close your eyes and simply enjoy life for a moment - listening to the sound of the fountain and hearing the static bustle of the people around you.

Opening your eyes as a gust of cold wind blows by that carried the odd tiny snowflake, you take a small sip of your drink and admire the fountain, watching a toddler dipping his hands in the water as his mother held him to ensure he didn't fall in.

Finding it slightly entertaining, you watch as he splashes the water with chubby little arms - unaware and uncaring about getting him and his mother soaked as he laughed with joy.

Glancing up, you admire the fountain before your eye catches something rather strange...Or, rather, someone rather strange.

A boy dressed impeccably similar to L was standing on the other side of the fountain, obscured by a wobbly veil of rushing water. Behind him....Just behind him, was what looked to be a dark black shadow.

Almost unnaturally dark.

The fountain was obscuring this strange sight pretty badly to the point where he looked like an impressionist painting or an abstract smear of a person, but before you could focus more or draw L's attention to it, the figure disappeared with the rest of the crowd as a small group of tourists passed by.

Twitching your brows into a short frown, you take another sip of your tea as you can't help but get a little suspicious.

"Hey L?" You ask, returning your focus to him as he glances up, seemingly snapping back from zoning out himself.

"Yes?"

"Let's keep an eye out for anyone suspicious, okay? Just in case. This is the last part of this trip where we need to get followed."

L takes a moment before he answers.

"Alright. I'll make sure to pay attention for us." He replies simply before taking a sip of his own drink, probably understanding why you felt the need to ask.

"Thanks." You answer, refocusing on the fountain and not seeing the figure again.

"So, do you feel ready to start heading over?" L asks, folding up the map. "It gets dark early this time of year...The sun probably is going to set in a few hours, and we do have a little ways to walk...No cabs in this area, unfortunately..."