Swapping Stories || 28

~♡~L's POV~♡~

The phone call was denied. At least, me speaking to her, in particular, was denied. Not until we get a chance to go over the whole situation at Watari's office later this evening. So...As much as it frustrated me, it was only denied for now, I suppose. Until B had a chance to make his case in a 'rational, civil conversation between two detectives', as Watari so graciously put it.

...Ridiculous.

I couldn't wait until we were due to have said chat. There is a number of things I'd like to get off my mind, but most importantly, I'd like to know what B thinks I'm going to do with him after he's proven guilty.

...Because I want to do something worse.

Passing his room on my way to my own, I linger before continuing on - my eyes tracing to the brass doorknob. As far as I was aware, B was in the library downstairs...Meaning I could get a chance to find something incriminating.

Looking over my shoulder, I quickly check if it was open - figuring it was worth a try.

Locked. Of course.

Disappointed but certainly not surprised, I turn to continue on, figuring I shouldn't waste my energy. But as soon as my eyes moved away, the lock clicked. 

Out of complete curiosity to see if I actually heard what I thought I did, I try opening the door again, and...It worked. Confused, I crack the door. I didn't hear anyone inside, and more importantly, I didn't see anyone either.

How strange.

Unable to resist the opportunity, I glance over my shoulder again to make sure nobody was around before I went ahead and stepped in. Immediately, I found that that room itself was spotless, and painstakingly organized - with the only exception to this being a few bits of scrap paper on the desk next to a origami doll.

Everything else was in perfect order.

Too perfect.

Glancing back again and making sure the door was closed, my heart began pounding. If I get caught in here it will not look good.

Where would he be hiding something...

The bookshelf.

I hesitate. The nightstand was closer - and time was limited.

Making my way over and pulling the drawer open, I was surprised to see nothing. Literally nothing. I would at least expect  a magazine, cables, a phone, junk. A jar of strawberry jam for God's sakes. Anything. But there was actually nothing.

I almost felt like I was in some kind of strange showroom.

Deciding to not think about the why's right now and pushing the drawer closed, I ease myself down to look under the bed, but see a spotless floor - as if he had just moved in.

The bookshelf.

It kept coming back to me. I don't know if it was raw intuition or a gut feeling, but I had to check.

Hauling myself up and getting over the almost suspiciously neat shelf as fast as I could, I glance to the doorway before I scan it to the bottom - noticing one of B's many Manga comics neatly placed among the rest, but something was making the middle of the pages bulge out ever so slightly.