Comfort

Chapter 36: Comfort

I stared at him as he stared at the fridge. We heard laughter coming from the dining room, but all my focus was on him. He wasn't happy and that made me want to punch someone. While I'm in the kitchen, figuring out a way to calm him down, the new family is discussing the wedding.

"Why didn't they tell me?" He asked.

I sighed. "We didn't know that this was going to happen." I leaned on the counter in front of him and tried to get his attention.

"Someone should've at least told me," he said, clenching his jaw. "I've been blind sided." He mumbled.

"I'm sorry, Ash." I laid my hand on his.

It's been a while since he left Australia, that was all because of his parents divorce. Anne swore not to marry again, not after the train wreck of her first marriage. His dad was a drunk, went out every night and drove home drunk. His family was happy living here, getting away from the past while mine swallowed me up.

Now, he's mad. Anne told him that she was going over to a friend's house to dinner, never told him that she's engaged. Harry and Lauren knew, but Ashton hasn't had time to sit down and chat with his mom.

I walked over to him, putting my arm around as he rested his head on my shoulder. "You should go back in there." I rubbed his arm to comfort him.

"I can't believe they didn't tell me," he muttered for the hundredth time.

"Ash, you should go back in there."

"Sit with me?"

"I have to go take care of the other one." I laid my head on his. "I'll be down before you know it."

"I thought I was the one not taking this well." He chuckled. Sitting up straight.

My arm fell to my side as I smiled at him. "You're taking it better than he is. He doesn't take anything that deals with his dad well." I chuckled. "I'll be back."

He nodded, then went back into the dining room. I took a breath before heading upstairs. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything break yet. I cracked open his door to find him on the phone.

"I'm sorry, mom," he whispered. "I can't go through with it anymore. How could he do this to you?"

"Luke," I said, stepping into the room.

"I gotta go," he hung up the phone and pinch the bridge of his nose. I sat next to him, waiting for him to say something. He didn't, he just sat there while the laughter coming from below got louder.

"I'm sorry," I said rubbing his back.

"You have nothing to be sorry about," he said. He sucked in a breath, then sighed. "He should be sorry, he should've told me."

I rested my head on his shoulder and held his hand. He grabbed my legs and brought it over his lap. "What can I do to help?" I whispered, trying not to cause anything.

"Stay with me," he said sadly. I looked up at him and he looked like he was on the brink of crying. "Don't leave me."

"Luke, I won't leave you." I chuckled, holding his cheeks.

"Promise?"

I nodded. "I promise I won't leave you."

He cried on my shoulder, I was lost and confused. What happened? He was fine in the beginning of dinner, just keeping to himself. He stormed out when they said they're moving into Ashton's house, because there's more room. Maybe it was the conversation he had with his mom.