Lost

Chapter 3: Lost

We walked through the cemetery in silence. I stopped in front of Diana's grave. I sat in front of her then Luke sat next to me.

"Hello, Diana." he said reading her tomb stone "You knew her?" he asked me

"She's my best friend." I played with my hands

"What happened, if you don't mind me asking."

"It's fine, I guess. We were nine and on a camping trip, it was really late and we were down by the lake. We heard twigs cracking and footsteps coming closer to us, we ran side by side, then I lost her." I felt tears prick out of my eyes "We, um..." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "We found her hours later. She had signs of struggling on her body, she was raped."

"I'm sorry."

"I just keep wondering why it was her, why did that person rape her?" I shook my head "Her death is what woke me up, showing me that there's real danger out in the world and I need to protect myself from it."

"That's why you're so closed up?"

"I don't want to take the chance, I push everyone away. It's best this way."

"For who exactly?"

"Me." I sighed "That's why I told you to stay out of this."

"I want to help."

I scoffed "You can't help, no one can."

"But Mikey can?"

"He gets it, he gets what I'm going through. He helps me with this and I help him with his."

"How are you helping each other?"

"I'm finding the bastard that raped her, he's finding the bitch that took his cousin." I got up "Just stay out of it Luke. I'll see you at school." I walked out of the cemetery.

"You have to stop that." I heard his accent follow me "Just let me help."

"You can't."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want you to."

He stopped in front of me "Well I'm going to."

"No, you're not."

He stepped closer to me "I'm going to either way."

"No."

He took another step "Yes." His face was so close, I wanted to push him away but my body wasn't responding "Let me help."

"Why do you want to so badly?" I asked looking at his eyes "You just moved here and you're suddenly interested in this loner."

He shook his head "You're not a loner."

"What am I?"

"Lost." He took my hand "Let me help you find the guy, maybe after you do you'll find yourself."

"How are you going to help?"

"I know a guy who could hack into the system and find Diana's murderer. He lives around here."

"Thanks but no thanks, I'm fine doing this with just me and Mikey." I pulled my hand and walked away.

"Maybe you do need help, maybe that's why you haven't found the guy yet?" I stopped my tracks "It's been years since her death, you've spent all of this time working by yourself."

"What's your point?"

"My point is, the reason you haven't found the guy is because you don't have the things you need to find him."