Threats

Chapter 37: Threats

"I've scheduled an interview for you," dad said, in the middle of our meal.

I dropped my chopsticks and looked up at him. He can't be serious. Dad got me an interview with the chancellor of the university he works at. Why would he do that?

"He just needs to see if you have the potential to go to the school."

"Dad, I didn't even consider going to college," I said, picking up my chopsticks and eating my gyoza.

Dad scheduled to have lunch with me. He picked me up from Luke's place and brought me all the way to the noodle house. I can't believe he actually took me here. He said he wanted me to get away from his house and to a place I actually like being at.

"You have to consider your options. How are you going to get by in life? You can't go on-"

"What's after this?" Mikey asked, cutting my dad's lecture as he sat down next to me. Didn't I say we took Mikey with me? Well, I sort of dragged him with me.

"We have to go grab your girlfriend," I mocked him.

He rolled his eyes and snatched my karage. "So, professor, how do you feel about Lola living away from home?"

"I think she should come home, but that's her decision. I know her mother doesn't understand what she goes through, and Lola is tired of all those therapy sessions she was forced to go to." Dad smirked at me.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm actually acting like a teenager now, but she still treats me like an outsider," I muttered.

"It's just your mother's way of-"

"Nothing, dad. Mom will never understand me." I pushed my plate forward and crossed my arms.

"We're not here to talk about that, Lola. We're here to talk about you."

"Well . . . " Mikey butted in. "Lola's going to prom."

My dad raised a brow and I just shrugged. "Do you have a dress?"

"Yeah, it's in Luke's closet."

"Wait, did he see it yet?" Mikey asked.

I shooked my head. "He doesn't really look in his closet. He uses his drawers," I answered.

"Do you need anything for prom? Boutonniere, corsage?" Dad asked, pulling out his wallet.

"I don't need those things, it's expensive and useless. I mean, you're going to pay so much for a flower that's going to die the next day."

"Way to look on the bright side of things," Mikey muttered.

I rolled my eyes and punched him. "It's useless."

"I think it's fun to jump into the prom experience. I mean, last year we didn't go because-"

I covered his mouth and smiled at my dad who was raising a brow at me. "I didn't feel like going," I said quickly. "I thought it would be boring."

"I'm going to pretend you didn't do anything illegal and what you told me is the truth," dad said, eating the last of gyoza. "I think you should do the prom experience."

I rolled my eyes and slumped back into my seat. Dad raised a brow at me and I just shrugged. Mikey went back to eating, thankfully. Anything else that would come out of his mouth, I'd be dragged back to the hell house, run by my mom. I'd kill Mikey if that ever happens.

Lunch was over after the awkward silence. Dad dropped us back and we went our separate ways, promising another meet up. I didn't want to leave my dad, I miss going into the kitchen every morning and seeing him rush for work. Now, I'm greeted with coffee and Luke's dad in the morning.