Progress

"Hey!" Ashton yelled as he climbed through the window.

"What the hell are you doing here, you dork?" I threw a pillow at him.

"Nothing." He shrugged, hugging the pillow then lied down next to me. "Prom's in a few weeks, are you going?"

"No," I scoffed.

"Why not? You two are sort of a couple and couples go to prom together."

"That's like saying girls need to be girly."

He rolled his eyes. "Slow change."

"What?"

"Slow change," He said slowly. "You're changing, but slowly."

"What the fuck does that mean?" I sat up, starring down at him.

"You're changing, everyone knows it." He sat up. "You're not as uptight as you use to be. You're actually talking to me after I screwed you over all those years ago."

"It's like your begging me to be a bitch to you," I chuckled.

"I'm just saying, L. It's still a working progress of course." He smiled.

"Why don't I lock that window?" I shook my head and laughed.

"Because you know I'm coming."

I pushed him to the point he fell off the bed. "Oh my gosh." I crawled to the otherside and saw him getting up. "Are you okay?"

"See, progress. You're never concerned about a person's well being." He groaned as he stood up. "I'll see you tomorrow." He limped and rubbed his shoulder as he made his way to the window. "Maybe. Fuck that hurt." He groaned.

"Sorry!" I yelled.

Wow, I really am changing.

I shook my head then laid back down, hugging my pillow. I stared at the ceiling, massaging my stomach to get rid of the - soon to be over - cramps. My phone rang and I groaned as I grabbed it.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hello, Ms. Heart."

I rolled my eyes. "What is it, piercings? You just dropped me off two hours ago." I was hoping to stay in a fetal position, to reduce the pain from the cramps, all night until I fall asleep.

"I know." He chuckled "Look out the window and find out."

I quirked a brow as I got out of bed. I walked over to the window, my phone still pressed against my ear. I rolled my eyes when I saw him with a picnic basket and a bottle, his phone between his ear and shoulder.

"How does a moonlight picnic sound?" He asked.

"Crazy," I smiled. "I'll be down in a few."

I hung up and grabbed a jacket. Making sure no one was downstairs, I went out the back door. I found him setting up under the nearby tree. He smiled when he looked up and saw me.

"Hey," He greeted as I walked up to him.

"Hi." I smiled. "So a picnic, huh?"

"Yeah, I have some food and a refreshments."

"Is that alcohol?" I pointed to the bottle, raising a brow. "You're not trying to get me drunk? Are you, Hemmings?"

"Relax, Heart, it's cider." He chuckled, holding his hand out for me. I sat across from him as he took out the food. "How are you?"

"Fine." I shrugged. "I pushed Ash off my bed earlier." I smiled.

"Yeah, I saw him leaving and rubbing his shoulder. All he said was "progress" and gave me a thumbs up." He chuckled. "What does that even mean?"

"It's nothing," I said waving it off. "So what in that insane mind of yours made you want to come here and have a moon lit picnic at midnight?"

"You, always you." He poured our drinks then handed me mine. "I don't know, I just felt like I needed to make up to you for making you think that there was something wrong between us."

"I was stupid to think that." I sipped my drink.

"No, you weren't. You had every right to believe that. I was acting strange and I should've told you what was going on." He put his cup down then grabbed my hand. "That night I stayed over was the best night I've ever had since I moved here."

"It the best night for me too." I smiled. "I feel sappy." I whispered.

"It's fine to feel like that."

"I know, it's just not normal for me." I shrugged. "So, are we going to talk or eat?"

"What do you want to do?"

"I don't know, it was your idea in the first place."

He put the food back into the basket and left the cider out. He moved the stuff to the side and sat next to me.

"We can snack on it later." He said taking my hand and finishing his cider. "Let's just watch the stars." He took my cup and laid us down, wrapping his arm around me.

I stared at him, still processing everything I do with him. Hand holding, cuddling, sleeping, kissing. Things I've never thought about or done with anyone.

I kissed his cheek and he raised a brow at me. "What was that for?" He asked.

"I don't know," I answered honestly. "I just did it."

"Well, can you do it on my lips instead of my cheek?" He smiled.

I rolled my eyes and moved closer to him. "Are you coming with me tomorrow?"

"Of course, I'm your ride." He chuckled.

"You don't need to take me around, I can walk."

"You've been walking for four years, you need a break."

"I like walking."

He nodded. "Okay then."

I raised a brow. "What's that suppose to mean?"

He shook his head. "Nothing."

I rolled my eyes, knowing he's going to keep this from me. It's funny because whenever I want to do something, he does the opposite and vise versa when it comes to him.

"Ash was talking about prom," I mentioned.

"And . . . "

"He was wondering if we're going."

"I don't think so. Not because I don't want to go with you. It's just . . . I know you're not into those things and I don't want to force you to go to something you don't want to attend."

He really gets me, more than I get myself actually. "What's your favorite animal?" I asked.

He started to laugh and I just stared at him. "You're serious?"

"Yeah, I really want to know."

He put his free arm under his head, smiling at the full lit sky. "Penguins."

"Penguins?" I asked. He nodded then looked at me. "Why?"

"Does there have to be a reason?" I shrugged. He shook his head and looked back at the sky. "Why, what's yours?"

"Pigs."

"Pigs, really?" I nodded. "So do you have a reason?"

"Actually, I do." I wrapped my arm around his waist and I reminisced through my past. "Lulu and I would watch the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at Diana's house every weekend and I've always loved Piglet and how adorable he was. From then on, I loved the animal, especially the stuffed toys."

"I'll keep that in mind."