No Scars

Chapter 20: No Scars

"What the fuck happened?" I asked as I walked into Luke's room. The place was trashed, his family picture was on the floor, frame dismantled. Clothes scattered, bed a mess.

"I can't find it," He yelled, rummaging through his drawers.

"Can't find what?" I walked behind him and tried to turn him to look at me. "Luke, calm down."

"No, I can't find it," He yelled in frustration. "It was in the first drawer." I took a step back from him.

I know what he's talking about. I know because I found them and I threw them away. He's going to be mad at me, I know he is. The only time I've seen a mad Luke is when he talks about his dad.

"Have you seen them?" He turned around and looked at me. "Heart, have you seen them?" He asked, emphasizing every word.

"Piercings-"

"Did you take them?"

"Just sit down," I tugged on his arm.

"You took it?" He pulled his arm away and groaned, pulling his hair. "Why?"

"You don't need them," I yelled.

"You don't know that."

"Yes, I do."

"No, you don't!" He grabbed his chair and threw it at the wall.

I was startled and jumped on the bed. He paced his breath then looked back at me. His face faltered when he saw me scrunched up on the bed.

"Heart . . . I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," He buried his face in his hands and groaned.

"Just sit down, please," He removed his hands and nodded sitting at the edge of the bed. "I did see them," I confessed while looking down at my hands.

"Where are they?"

"I threw them," I looked up at him. He clenched his fists, closed his eyes and took a breath. "You don't need them," I moved closer to him and grabbed his arm, moving the bracelets to show him his old scars.

"I need them," He opened his eyes and looked at me, bringing his hand up to rub my cheek.

I shook my head. "No, you don't."

"Lola-"

"I think it's time for our therapy session. Don't you think?"

He nodded and got off the bed, I followed and took his hand, leading him downstairs. I made him sit on the couch in the living room, while I grabbed him water.

"Here," I said handing him the glass.

"Thanks," He drank it then set it on the table. He grabbed my hand and sat me next to him.

I moved his bracelets again and traced my fingers over his scars. "You don't need them," I spoke.

"It makes the inner pain go away."

"But it doesn't really. It'll still be there and it will be a reminder of it," I whispered. "What happened, why are you going crazy looking for it?"

"My dad," He rested his forehead on my shoulder. "It started when my parents would fight, but they were just simple cuts then. I got caught when I came to school with scars on my arms and legs. I wear jeans and these bracelets to cover them up. When I moved here, it got worse, because my dad was out late or sleeping until noon."

"What happened earlier, did you two fight?"

He shook his head. "He told me he has a girlfriend. I stayed in my room and waited til he left to find the blades."