New Start

Chapter 43: New Start

"Class of 2015!" Our principal yelled.

Everyone threw their caps up while I stayed seated. Everyone yelled and hugged each other, crying about how they weren't going to see each other after this. They started to disperse, but I stayed seated. The janitors were cleaning up the field and the band was packing up.

"I'm leaving next week." I didn't say anything to him, I just sat there. "I need to talk to you before I go, right now actually."

I still said nothing, I haven't talked to anyone since I was released. I sit in my room, with the lights off, listening to Paramore. Mom keeps checking up on me every hour to get my ass out of the room. I feel like moving out again.

"Heart, please, answer me."

"Yes, Luke?" I asked with no emotion.

"No, no, no, don't be like this." He sat next to me, grabbing my hands.

I pulled my hands away and sighed. "Luke-"

"Call me piercings, say how I'm annoying when I take your phone to play candy crush, play with my bracelets, anything," he hiccupped. I looked at him and saw him crying, pinching the bridge of his nose and squeezing his eyes shut.

Tears fell out of my eyes and put my hand on his other one. "I'm sorry, Luke."

He looked at me and held my hands. "Don't call me that, please, Heart."

"There's nothing to talk about, Luke. We're going our seperate ways now."

"I don't want to go our separate ways. I want us together. I want to wake up to you every morning like I use to. Why are you doing this?"

"Are you hurt?"

He nodded. "I've been hurt since you left me at the steps of the school." My heart pinched at the fact that I ended it, I hurt him. "I've been for weeks without you. I broke down when I saw all your things gone."

"It's over now," I stood up. He held me back and got on his knees. I knelt down in front of him and wiped his tears. He looked at my in the eyes, silently begging me not to go, to leave him. "Goodbye, Luke." I kissed him one last time, savoring the time. I pulled away and got up, turning away from him.

"You promised you wouldn't leave me," he reminded me.

"You were going to leave me anyway," I answered. "New York is calling you, you'll have a better life there." I walked away, taking off my cap and headed to the cemetery.

I sat at her tomb, for once, not feeling guilty. I think about what I just did, breaking up with Luke, kissing him for the last time. Sometimes I want to run to him and tell him that is was a mistake to break up with him. But I know this is the best. If not for me, for him.

"You okay?" I wiped my tears and laid my head on his shoulder. "It's okay, L." He kissed my forehead and rubbed my arm. He rested his chin on my head and kept telling me it's okay.

"High school's over and now everyone is leaving, besides Mikey and Piper," I said. "Calum and Lulu are going to Oklahoma, he's going to NYU, and you're going to California. Everyone's leaving me behind."

"Why don't you come with me to California? Sure you won't have the group, but you'll have me."

"I don't know, Ash." I sighed and sat up. "I mean, what am I going to do out there?"

"You still have money from the reward, right?"

I nodded. The only thing I used it for was the bail. Mom's been telling me to transfer it to her, but I know better than to trust her with my money. With that much money in her hand, who knows what she might do. But I know I won't do anything with it, because I don't have anything to spend it on.