Champagnes and Past Lovers

Chapter 44: Champagnes and Past Lovers

"I can't believe he let you drive here," Anne said as I helped her put on her veil.

"I know, I just got my license last week," I chuckled. "He's always running late anyway."

She sighed. "That's the way he's always been."

I took a step back and smiled at her. She looked stunning in her wedding dress. I'm so happy to be her maid of honor. Even though I dread wearing this knee high on strap periwinkle dress.

"You look gorgeous," I said to her.

"You do too, Lola," she said, holding my hands. "How's California?"

"Good," I answered.

"I should've asked you this a long time ago, but we never had the time to sit and talk about our personal lives."

I chuckled. "Your wedding is something personal."

"Thanks for getting Ash's hair cut and getting his glasses." He was being stubborn and kept hitting things. He couldn't even drive because he kept getting pulled over. I had to drive us everywhere and he always had to be with me in the car. Stupid permit.

Don't even get me started on Ashton's hair. Sure, it's great when you play the drums and you're head banging to Green Day songs, but not when you're going to college. It was fine in high school, it just got too long. He cried when he saw his hair on the floor of the barber shop.

"We have a problem," Lauren said, peeping into the room.

"What is it?" Anne asked with a worried look. Hopefully it's nothing that would ruin her wedding.

"Ashton isn't here yet," she said stepping in with an awkward look on her face.

"What!" She yelled.

"He said he just needed to pick up something," I said. Ashton said he'd be here right before I left his house. What's taking him so long?

"Is everything okay?" My heart dropped at the sight of him in his tux. I haven't seen him in six months, not even at the rehearsal dinner or the gatherings to plan today's event. He's still looks the same, just better in some way.

"Ashton isn't here yet," Anne said, throwing her hands up.

He looked at me, then I looked away. "I'll go find out where he is." I heard the door shut and I let out a breath.

"Lola, can you go call him?" Anne asked. I looked at her and nodded, grabbing my phone and stepping out of the room.

I dialed and started walking to the entrance of the church. "Where are you?" I asked when he picked up.

"I'm almost there, I'm pulling up now." I walked outside and saw his car park. I hung up and sighed.

"Still as late as ever," he chuckled. I turned around and found him with his hands in his pockets stepping towards me. "Same old, Ash."

"Yeah," I said, looking away. I looked at Ashton's car, praying for him to hurry up.

"How you been?" He nudged me.

"Fine," I muttered.

"What are you doing now?"

"I'm staying in California, working at a cafe. I'll be going to UCLA next month, studying criminology."

He smiled and I knew why. He remembered our conversation in the cemetery, the day I moved out of my parents house. I heard a door shut and I snapped my head towards Ashton.