Problems

Chapter 38: Problems

"We're getting you a new phone," I said, pulling my phone away from Luke.

"I was almost done with that level," he complained as tried taking it back. "Come on."

"No, you're wasting my battery and I'm tired of you taking my phone away when you need it." I struggled to get it away from him. "Luke, stop it."

"We'll get one tomorrow, just let me use yours for now." He pouted, quivering his lip and giving puppy dog eyes. Why does his eyes have to be blue? His eyes are beautiful and I'm envious of it.

"Here," I said, shoving the phone towards him. I got up and spread the blanket on the ground.

"What are you doing?" He asked, getting out of his bed.

"I'm going to sleep on the floor, what does it look like I'm doing?" I took one of his pillows and laid on the floor. He took my pillow and I just stared at him. I was so close from banging on my head on the floor.

"You're not sleeping on the floor." He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Fine," I said getting up, grabbing the blanket and pillow.

"Where are you going now?"

"I'm going to sleep on the couch." I rushed downstairs. I need space for awhile, I need to be by myself even though I've spent hours in front of Diana's tombstone. Again. I don't want Luke to know about the threats. I want to continue with the case.

"Lola, come upstairs, please?" He begged following me down.

I turned around and sighed. "It's just for one night." I headed into the living room and fixed up the couch.

"I promise not to take your phone to play Candy Crush anymore."

I chuckled and shook my head. "It's not about the phone. I just want to spend the night on the couch."

"What's wrong? You're not telling me something," he sat down in front of me.

"Nothing's wrong."

"Something's bothering you. Was it lunch with your dad?" I shook my head. He grabbed my legs and pulled me to him. "Tell me what's wrong. Is it me?"

I tried to hold in my laughter. I shook my head removing his arms from me. "Of course there's something wrong with you," I said, holding his cheeks between my hands. He rolled his eyes and laughed too. "Prom is in a few days and the pressure is on." I pulled my hands away from him and stood up wrapping my arms around his neck.

"You have a whole week to get ready. Besides, since when did you care about prom?" He chuckled.

I sighed and sat next to him. "Since I asked you." I patted his leg. "Time for you to go."

"Are you sure nothing's wrong?" He grabbed my hand and caressed it with his thumb.

My heart swelled. I pulled my hand away and just nodded. "Goodnight." I kissed his cheek and laid down.

"Goodnight," he said getting up and giving me a kiss on the lips. I heard his footsteps go upstairs and I sighed in relief.

"You're hiding something," Mr. Hemmings sang as he sat in the arm chair.

"You heard that?" I sat up, running my finger through my hair.

He nodded. "I also heard your quiet and quick answers." He pointed his coffee cup at me. "You know, I thought you were a bad influence on him."

"But . . . "

He sipped his coffee then set it down. "You're changing, because of him and he's changing, because of you. You want to be better just like he does."