Broken Promise

Chapter 30: Broken Promise

She stared at me in awe as I admired myself in the mirror. I've always hated those streaks, I only had them to piss off my mom. . . and everyone else in town. Now, I don't need her approval, or anyone's for that matter. I don't care about what they think of me anymore. If they think I need help, so be it.

*Ring*Ring*

"Heart," I heard him sigh.

"Hey, piercings." I smiled. I look at Piper who was eyebrow dancing at me.

"Can someone else pick you up later?" I heard him sniffle.

"Why?" I asked, getting out of my chair and moving to a corner. "Piercings, what's wrong? What happened?" It was silent on the other line. "Luke, what happened?"

"I just can't pick you up, okay?" He snapped.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Nothing!" He yelled.

"Are you drunk?" I whispered. He promised me he wouldn't drink anymore. What the fuck happened? "Luke, are you drunk?"

"No, fuck, Lola," he snapped. "Just get another damn ride home."

"Piercings-"

"Be lucky I fucken called instead of leaving you there, stranded."

"Luke," I yelled, not giving a fuck if someone heard me. "What happened?"

"Nothing, fuck." The line went dead after that. I called again, but he sent me straight to voicemail.

I sighed and walked back to Piper. "Is everything okay?" She asked.

I shook my head. "I have to skip dinner, I'm so sorry."

"What happened?"

"Some stuff," I shrugged. "I really want to go though."

"It's fine," she said, waving it off like it's nothing.

"Tomorrow's the big day, I'll see you then." I smiled.

"Yeah," she smiled. I feel like she doesn't seem so happy even though she has a natural looking smile on her face.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise." I gave her a small smile. "It's Luke," I said, fiddling with my fingers.

"Is he okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah . . . " Then I started to shake my head. "He got himself into some trouble."

"What kind of trouble?"

"Time to go girls." I turned around to see Piper mom. "Dinner awaits." She smiled. "Lola, you look stunning."

I gave a small smile. "Thanks, Mrs. Lee."

"She can't make it, mom. She has an emergency," Piper spoke sincerely.

"What happened?" Mrs. Lee asked with a pity in her eyes.

"Just a family problem. I'm sorry I have to miss dinner." I apologized.

"It's fine, dear. Maybe next time?" I nodded. I pulled out my wallet and handed her the money for my makeover. She declined it. "It's already paid for."

"Mrs. Lee-"

"It's fine, Lola." She waved it off.

I nodded. "Better get going." We walked out together then part our ways. I called Ashton and asked him to pick me.

"Drunk?" Ash asked as he drove.

"Yeah," I sighed.

"I thought he promised you."